Maybe Livestreaming ASA Workshop

Thanks, Joshua @swamidass, praying for a good workshop on your end and hoping to catch it on FB live.

2 Likes

Best wishes for an excellent workshop. On behalf of the group here, we’ll be watching, and make us proud with your wisdom and insight.

1 Like

It’s a “no go” for the live streaming. ASA’s call it seems.

2 Likes

Aw, shucks… we civilians don’t rate…: )

1 Like

I was told about this decision 15 minutes ahead of time. They were unwilling to record and decide later what do with recording. I almost didn’t do it, but swallowed my anger and did. Workshop went great, which is doubly sad it was not recorded.

1 Like

@AJRoberts and @Patrick and @Guy_Coe, and everyone else, thanks for your interest and support of this. A brief summary now, and we will hear more about it soon in an upcoming office hours: Greg Cootsona: The "Science of Adam" Workshop.

The attendance was impressive. There were about 75 people, each who paid an extra $35 to attend, and came a day early to the conference. It was a packed room, standing room only. The actually presentation went really well. A Christianity Today reporter was there too, is considering to write an article on this soon.

I was not allowed to record the workshop.

A few weeks ago, without my knowledge, it appears that a representative of another organization lobbied ASA to prevent any recording of the workshop. Without consulting or informing me, it was decided that the stated intent of the workshop was to be overriden, and no recording would be allowed. I was notified of this decision merely 15 minutes before the presentation. No unofficial recording was allowed. The other organization’s representative emphatically insisted there be no recording, threatening to disrupt the workshop if I recorded it. It is possible there is a bootlegged recording, made by one of the panelists. It is possible it will appear and we will be able to share it at sometime, but this is far from certain at this time.

The next day, I informed Dr. Stephen Moshier, president of ASA of the material facts, and asked him to investigate the unmanaged conflicts of interest and lack of due process. To his credit, it appears he is taking this seriously.

I am shaken by this experience and still recovering. I am both encouraged by the high excitement about our work, and deeply saddened by the consistent and organized opposition it faces.

1 Like

If these are the facts, Joshua, uou should state who had requested the ruling for no recording if the session.

Which group or which person made the Request?

1 Like

I know the group and person but want to keep that confidential at this time.

Why did you participate after the rules have been changed? You could have walked out the door. Did you consider that? What made you stay? Did you accomplish anything by staying? I consider what happened there as an attempt to muzzle your message, to silence it without silencing it. You are giving them too much power. You are the person of science coming to them. You have integrity and you speak the truth. You don’t make stuff up. I recommend that you record your talk and place it on Peaceful Science Facebook for all to see and say that ASA wouldn’t record it so you did.

You are being manipulated by them. It is very dishonest and lacks integrity. See it for what it is. If you told this to your father, what would he say?

1 Like

Dude…chill

2 Likes

@Patrick I wonder that right now too. I had minutes to make a decision. It was a hostile moment. I decided to be a professional and do what came to do. I was shaking with anger, but calmed myself and delivered.

Yeah, I know.

I need to patient right now. Stephen Moshier does not appear conflict in this situation, and he was not involved with this fiasco. He listened to what I shared and promised me to follow up on it. I want to give him a chance to resolve this, make restitution, and make public what happened. It would be better if ASA made this public instead of me. I want to give them that chance before I do anything more.

I do need to chill. What is done is done. I’m going to wait and see how it is handled. It is possible it will be made public by me in the future, but not now. Let us refrain from making inferences or doing anything. Let us be patient and see how it is handled.

My bad man. That was directed at Patrick for bringing family into it.

1 Like

@Patrick and I talked a lot about my father, who died this last January. He often asks me what Dad would say when I’m faced with a difficult decision. It is meaningful to me, because I am honestly already thinking that question, even in the moment. It is okay the way @Patrick brings it up. I’m honestly still grieving him. I honestly miss him so much in moments like this.

1 Like

I understand and I apologize for the misunderstanding

1 Like

Exactly! Thank you @T.j_Runyon

Ok, I respect that decision. You were certainly professional. You are now well prepared for the next time.

Ok, learn from the experience. Know thyself. Be patient and thoughtful. Next time, you will see it in slow motion and you will have plenty of time to react.

2 Likes

Dr. Swamidass is still grieving his father’s passing. Moments like these brings the grieving to the forefront. Thinking about how his father would have help him through can be very comforting to him.

1 Like

If you are implying that I am bringing up family to somehow manipulate Dr. Swamidass, you are greatly mistaken. I did not know Dr. Swamidass’ late father so I do not know how his father would advise him. Only he knows. My one and only reason I mentioned his father is because we have talked numerous time on how painful events are intertwined and how when one surfaces, others do too.

1 Like

@Patrick , it may be hard to understand, but @swamidass loves and follows a Savior Who was “silenced” in a much more unjust fashion. It didn’t silence Him. The truth will out. In these kinds of circumstances, we have learned not to be overtaken by fear or anger, but to soldier on, and trust God for the outcome.
For Christians, it’s how well we go through times like these that speaks most highly of how well we’ve been discipled by Him. Thanks for being supportive, but Josh is more used to these kinds of shenanigans than you know. It’s part of the school of “hard knocks” for serious --and, effective --Christians. I’m sure you can relate.