Alternatives to Modern Evolutionary Theory

I think it is now appropriate to promote @pevaquark to “Skeptical PS Scientist” with all of the rights and privileges thereof. This is for achievements from and above a Skeptical Biologos Physicist. Yes we are all skeptical of Biologos Physics ever since Deb Haarsma said that if there was (is) a multiverse, God did it.
Congratulations and keep up the good work explaining evolution to tree dwellers.

He already has these rights and privledges. I’m not sure he wants to be a PS scientist, though we be happy to have him he did.

We are all tree dwellers @Patrick, right?

I meant to say “tree designers” but given the context “tree dwellers” might be more humorous to an Israeli ID-YEC.

What empirical evidence?

That’s the Sharpshooter fallacy. You are assuming that what did evolve is the only thing that could evolve.

1 Like

Just had a flashback to an old Benny Hill Show skit. Benny and his mate are out looking for work when they come across a sign “Wanted: Tree Fellers”. The buddy starts to go in to apply but Benny says “It’s no good. The sign says they want tree fellers but there’s only two us us!” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s like saying that God could plant fingerprints at crime scenes, so we don’t have to assume that fingerprints are the product of people touching things.

We can observe modern retroviruses producing new insertions in living cells. Why shouldn’t we conclude that retroviral sequences found in genomes are the product of this observed and natural process? The argument you are using is nothing more than the Omphalos argument.

3 Likes

Why is it problematic when ERVs evolve function? These are functional proteins when they are inserted into the genome, so it isn’t surprising at all that some can be co-opted through evolution.

2 Likes

How does one negate the other? Why can’t some functional ERVs be the result of viral integration that then evolves to have function?

2 Likes

i just asking how a creature that need that ervs suppose to live wihtout it.

This is the Mullerian two step. Evolve something that improves function, and then make it necessary.

1 Like

And for the third time: they didn’t even exist before ERVs have acquired any functionality. Lots of babies were made long before Syncytin was integrated into the genome of our ancestors.

because we have seen the opposite too:

" The src gene was taken up by RSV and incorporated into its genome". so a retrovirus isnt just able to infect, but also able to be infected (or actually created).

or:

can you show how its actually possible in biology without to assume that its actually possible?

You’re getting so repetitive and boring

3 Likes

That doesn’t put the origin of ERVs in doubt. We have an observed and natural process that produces ERVs. We can watch retroviruses producing new insertions in cells. Scientists are completely justified in concluding that ERVs are the product of past retroviral insertion.

All we need to do is show that it is possible in order to counter the claim that it is impossible.

Lots of babies are still being made by all of the species who don’t have a placenta and don’t have syncytin.

3 Likes

Yea, like Biologos. I guess that me and Josh have to get Biologos out of our brains.

1 Like

Don’t rope me into this one! :slight_smile:

That was a test. :sunglasses: You’re getting better. Time is healing the wounds. I am glad.

1 Like

Are you trying to make a point with those quotes, or did you just see the words “cast doubt” and “incorrect” and get all excited?

5 Likes

Responded too fast and took my queues from the comment I was replying to…it was an unintentional omission.