A Spirited and Eclectic Discussion on Evolution and the Bible

Can you prove that evolution is unbiblical? I don’t think the bible has an opinion one way or the other. If your answer is that you don’t find it in the bible, I would answer I don’t find a recipe for pizza, but I know it’s good and violates no biblical precept. Genesis doesn’t have any clear opinion on the matter, and I already know we disagree on hermeneutics there. Do you have another reason why you would think it unbiblical?

2 Likes

I wonder if it is those anti-evolution idols…

A lot of pizzas are definitely not kosher…

3 Likes

Yeah, but kosher isn’t required by the bible either, that went away in Acts 10.

1 Like

hmmm…well I thought my post about heavenly waters being negative energy dark matter was pretty clever :grinning: That’s already part of our knowledge.

Sorry, no.

2 Likes

God saying the day you eat you shall surely die, to me, is very clearly, the start of physical death if you carefully study all the passages. Adam as head of creation subjected it to death. That is the main reason why I do not accept common descent. I remember Bible studies as a teenager too, every time origins was discussed, “death” was sort of the end of the conversation. I grew up in a church with a literal reading of the Bible, so maybe there was some peer pressure when we discussed this, but I think no one really wanted to challenge death being present before sin. I find it to be spiritually repulsive to accept death is not the result of sin, but more importantly against what the Bible teaches. Christ as the last Adam defeated physical death in his resurrection. The resurrection is more than a miracle; it’s also a victory.

A careful study of scripture reveals mans disobedience to God and the beginning of sin which leads to death. The fall is the end of the story of creation/Eden, the beginning of God’s chosen people, and the beginning of the ancestry of Jesus, not the beginning of time.

I have not heard this term “head of creation”…don’t like it, seems “unbiblical”. Jesus is head of the church, God is the Father of all creation…Do you have a verse that supports this?

Sin brings forth death is clearly biblical, but all death must come from sin is not. Biblical death from sin is eternal not just physical. Abraham and Moses died physically, but not spiritually as referenced by the gospels. I find no biblical support that there was no death prior to the fall, and it seems clear that science has proven life (and death) to exist way before the fall.

Jesus was not the last Adam (site a scripture to prove otherwise)…he was the root and offspring of David, the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega…aren’t you a type of Adam (Eve), an heir to the throne also?..Jesus did not defeat all physical death, he has eternal power over death and that’s what the resurrection proves. He has authority from God to give the crown of life to those that show themselves approved when they stand before Him in judgment. People die all the time, the victory is over spiritual death, not physical death. The finality of God’s statement in Genesis to me implies eternal death, which is spiritual death and not physical death.

Agreed, but the victory is in having power over death, giving us all a path to eternal life, not ending death altogether…many will still choose the broad path of sin that leads to death.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying before Adam sinned by disobeying the command not to eat from that tree, there was no death for any living thing at all? That literally every single living thing God originally created never died, from a single bacterium, to the cells in Adam’s skin. They were all basically immortal and invulnerable.

God created an entire biosphere of organisms, from single-celled prokaryotes to gigantic whales and dinosaurs, and they all just sort of lived without eating anything. The whale didn’t eat krill, the dinosaurs didn’t eat plants or each other. When Adam walked around on the ground, the skin cells on his feet remained alive and unharmed. When whales swam in the ocean, no physical harm ever came on as much as a single cell in their body. Sharks just swam around admiring each other’s jaws, maggots writhed in boredom. No elephant ever broke a single straw on any plant, or ever stepped on any small insect.

There was no such thing as cell division, because no cell ever required replacement. Plants didn’t need water to bring nutrients into he ground, and there was no need for any fertilizer(cows didn’t urinate or defecate on the ground so those nutrients could be taken up by plants, because the cows didn’t eat the plants), so plants had roots they didn’t use, grew flowers and seeds they didn’t need, and cows had teeth for no reason, and had extensive digestive systems that never did any digestion.

God created an entire biosphere of organisms capable of eating each other, but no-one ever did. Dust mites were bored out of their minds, because nobody ever shed as much as a single dead skin-cell. Ticks that suck blood just sat around on straws of grass but didn’t care to jump on passing warm-blooded animals, because that would entail killing blood cells for their nutrients. Ants dug giant farms in the ground, but then just sat around waiting. Wasps did nothing. Snails had nothing to eat, termites had no decaying wood to eat. Mice did nothing. Cats did nothing. Fish did nothing. Squid did nothing. Birds did nothing. Mosquitoes did nothing. Flies did nothing. No mold ever grew on a rotting fruit, because no fruit ever rotted.

But then, one day, Adam took a bite out of an apple with his never before used teeth, tasted it with his never before activated taste-buds, and started digesting it with his never before used digestive system. Now finally, bacteria in his lower intestine could get to work digesting dead plant cells, having spent however many decades or centuries being alive but never doing anything. And then suddenly the eating frenzy commenced, literally. Lions found a use for their claws, sharks took the plunge and decided to actually try their impressive jaws on something, squid found a use for their suckers, and Adam developed calluses on his soles. Finally, dust mites had something to eat, and ticks found a purpose for their existence.

2 Likes

Not for followers of Judaism.

How can you have a functioning ecology without death? I don’t think you have thought this through.

1 Like

“Pizza” doesn’t go beyond what’s written, whereas evolution does. That’s exactly how it violates biblical precepts.

1 Like

Actually, no. That conclusion only comes from carelessly ignoring certain passages. Such as these from Genesis 3:

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

1 Like

God may not tell us why but there may be good enough indication that the very idea of evolution is repugnant to him, meaning that he would have never broken his own laws he later enacted regarding cross-breeding when he first created animal “kinds”.

jewishvirtuallibrary.org

MIXED SPECIES (Heb. כִּלְאַיִם; kilayim ), prohibition mentioned twice in the Bible. Leviticus 19:19 states: “Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind; thou shalt not sow thy field with two kinds of seed; neither shall there come upon thee a garment of two kinds of stuff mingled together.” Deuteronomy 22:9–11 states: “Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with two kinds of seed; lest the fulness of the seed which thou hast sown be forfeited together with the increase of the vineyard. Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together. Thou shalt not wear a mingled stuff, wool and linen together.” From these two passages the sages deduced six types of mixing of species which are forbidden: the mixing of seeds; the grafting of different species of trees and vegetables; the mixing of seed in a vineyard; the hybridization of domestic and wild animals; plowing or driving with domestic or non-domestic animals of different species; and the mixing of wool and linen (*sha’atnez).

“Pizza” doesn’t go beyond what’s written, whereas evolution does. That’s exactly how it violates biblical precepts.

How do we tell when something “goes beyond” what is written?

Hi @3flames, and thank you for that. That is a great verse for any serious inquirer to consider and it speaks directly to this subject.

1 Corinthians 4:6

Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.

1 Like

God broke all of His laws when He sent Jesus to be propitiation for our sins. The law was written so that people could live righteously and enter into Gods rest when they die. Jesus nullified all Jewish law when he became the propitiation for our sin, but commanded a new law of love and sacrifice. The law was transferred to our hearts, the Holy Spirit convicts us of right and wrong. If you are trying to fulfill the law, you don’t understand the gospel.

Synthetic chemistry, electricity, medical imaging, jet propulsion and space travel all go beyond biblical precepts. Are they all unbiblical? Should we go back to 1 AD and live like Jesus to be biblical? And pizza certainly goes beyond biblical teaching…leavened bread, pepperoni contains pig parts, cheese was around, and awesome, but not part of the bible…and lets not forget the “magic” of garlic and tomato sauce…

1 Like

God gave us creative minds - we are made in His image. The things you mentioned are inventions of men with those creative minds, even pizza. Being creative and inventive is what we were made to do. Evolution, however, is an idea that immediately violates biblical precepts because it implicates that scripture is incomplete and thereby false. Why take things to far, swinging so far off the center point of the discussion? That’s plain silliness. Also -“it’s not what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out of his mouth” Mt. 15:11 That is a biblical precept.