Article on TMR4A and Ayala

This article comes to me by way of William Lane Craig.

https://strangenotions.com/the-scientific-possibility-of-adam-and-eve/

1 Like

I would love to know how we (archaeologists), though he refers to us as paleontologists, are misreading the lithic tool record. This is a crazy assertion backed up by no argumentation.

3 Likes

Well you seem to have his attention, and thatā€™s good. But not it seems on the two-population scenario like that proposed in GA, and thatā€™s bad. This article did help me understand why some around here are so anxious to make humans out of Neanderthals and Denisovans. They may think it allows them to keep a ā€˜first pairā€™. And it might, but not the first pair in the text of early Genesis, who were agriculturalists and whose near descendants were animal pastoralists and invented metallurgy. And that is besides the mockery it would make of the genealogies.

4 Likes

Yet another instance where an alternative explanation, namely, a sequential reading of the text, would end up totally harmonizing the many discordances he brought up --and the ones he left glaringly unaddressed. Adam and Eve donā€™t have to be the ā€œfirst human beings ever,ā€ just the first ones capable of the knowledge of good and evil, allowing them to outcompete all others, just as he said.
Come on, WL Craig --check your inbox! Thanks for an otherwise good article.

2 Likes

The whole conception of ā€œand God created man in His image; male and femaleā€ as happening in an instantaneous moment, rather than the announced intentions of a slower, yet still miraculous process, is an ungrounded assumption with regards to the Hebrew text. Nothing in the Hebrew verb 'bara communicates instantaneous fulfillment.

1 Like

He is a brilliant mind, wanting to get all the pieces on the table and guide his community along with him. It is very rare to see intellects of his caliber publicly processing questions of such high importance in public. Rather that criticising him, I am watching and learning.

2 Likes

Agreed; just disappointed at the road not yet taken, personally.

1 Like

What is really going on is that I absolutely must get my book out asap. The Dabar paper is not yet out, so he canā€™t reference it.

1 Like

My son has challenged me to write one as well, saying that this view has helped him. My YEC friend, a graduate of Dallas Seminary in Hebrew, has said that, if he werenā€™t a YEC, this view would be his next best preference. Godspeed with your book, Joshua!

3 Likes

@Agauger, he acknowledged you. Congrats. He did an admirable job on the science, perhaps because of you.

2 Likes

Dr. Swamidass please read the comments being posted on this article - quite interesting.

1 Like

Dr. Swamidass - Thank you for leading me to strangenotions.com . It is the first time seeing it. I am so glad a site like this exists.

1 Like