Christianity and the Moral High Ground

Not the same. Science, reason, and secular humanism is replacing Christianity. But if Christianity adapts, maybe it can survive but it has to jettison beliefs that conflict with science, reason, and humanism. And on social side, Christianity needs to be seen as inclusive not exclusive. Doctrine and dogma must evolve to be more caring, and more “christian”.

I don’t actually disagree with this too much. Though I wouldn’t say it is evolving into something new. Rather, I’d say it should return to what it is meant to be.

1 Like

Sure, I wouldn’t agrue with that. Chrisitanity was always at the highest moral ground for many centuries. It lost that just recently, in the last 30 years. And it is real easy for some Churches to do it. I recently saw a rainbow flag outside a Dutch Reformed Church nearby.

1 Like

Considering that Jesus said in the Parable of the Sower and in terms of “And few there be who find it [the way]…”, I’m never surprised about Jesus-followers being a minority, even a tiny minority eventually.

Patrick, I think an interesting thread would be you proposing what you consider to be the most significant examples of “conflict with science” and “conflict with reason” and “conflict with humanism.” (I belabor the three categories because I think they are worth distinguishing.)

Of course. I’m also distinguishing between what Jesus actually taught and what some Christians do or think that is contrary to such. (For example, Jesus taught self-sacrifice and the very opposite of consumptive materialism but some TV evangelists promote a “prosperity gospel” and conspicuous consumption.) We must separate what Jesus taught from what some Christians consider essential to their identity and culture. The latter is not “Christianity” per se; it is Christian-influenced culture.

1 Like

Wow! You really surprised me with that one!

I do give you much credit for not swallowing the opposite extreme among some atheists bloggers who appear to consistently insist that Christians have tended toward the lowest moral ground for many centuries.

Of course, once again, I separate what people who happen to call themselves Christians happen to do versus what Jesus actually taught.

Anyway, I think you’ve got an interesting new thread idea there, Patrick.

2 Likes

Highly relevant to this is: The Civil War as a Theological Crisis.

Here are my suggestions for discussion:
Conflicts with Science:

1. Human origins of Homo Erectus leading to multiple species of admixed human migrating throughout the world with language and culture for 2 million years.
  2. Origin of Life on Earth as a lifeless chemical processes to lifelike biological processes
  3. Origin of universe from nothing 13.8 billion years ago.

Conflicts with Reasoning:

1. Human sexuality part of living a happy human life
  2. Woman’s health and reproduction as a woman’s control over her own body
  3. Human death as endstage of living

Conflicts with Humanism:

1. Gender rights as human rights
  2. Reproductive rights as human rights
  3. Education, food, shelter, clothing, medical care as human rights

If Christianity can become part of the solution instead of being the primary cause of these problems, Christianity can become relevant, otherwise it will just be ignored by more and more people as being insignificant to their lives.

2 Likes

Bookmarked this post and will consider running it if and when things slow down. Thanks.

2 Likes