Could Years be Months in Genesis Genealogies?

Actually, this fits in this view as well.

I didn’t mention the large stature along with the long lifespans as I figured I was already way out on a limb as it was. But stature could be another characteristic carried along with long lifespans, that all but disappeared within a few generations of interbreeding with mortal humans. These would be the other gods mentioned throughout the OT that others worshiped during Abraham’s time, and the reason why it was often stressed that there’s only one God.

I see this as potentially relevant as well, probably for a lot of the same reasons you’re making this connection to the “sons of God”. In this context they would be the descendants of Adam and Eve (as stated in Luke 3). They’d all live long lives and all be large in stature compared to humans.

The interpretation came first.

I found this trying to disprove it. My initial thought when this idea came to mind is that it was absolutely ridiculous. I intended to find good reason to dismiss it. Instead I kept finding details that supported it.

I call it “evidence” in that it’s data that supports the hypothesis.

1 Like

Please explain this, since most equate Shinar (Gen 11:2) with Babylon.

1 Like

Babylon is Sumer.

" Babylonian was an ancient post- Sumer civilization that originated in the central-southern region of Mesopotamia." - https://www.quora.com/Are-Babylonians-Sumerians-and-Mesopotamians-the-same

That does not answer my question. I’m well aware where Babylon is. I’m wondering why you put Babel on the Sinai Peninsula. I’ve just never come across this view.

1 Like

" The great Ziggurat of Amar-Sin in the center of the city has been associated with the Biblical Tower of Babel from The Book of Genesis and the city itself with the Biblical city of Babel. This association springs from archaeological discoveries (the claim that the Ziggurat of Amar-Sin more closely resembles the description of the Biblical Tower) and a reading of the Babylonian historian Berossus (c. 200 BCE) who seems to be clearly referring to Eridu when he writes of 'Babylon’." - Eridu - World History Encyclopedia

1 Like

That’s a tough one. Let me know if you run across any as well.

The most commonly held view to this day is that the various mythologies of the ancient world are the products of simpler minds of the ancient past trying to make sense of a world they didn’t understand. Basically it’s believed that this is the same ‘tendency’ of the human mind that invented the Christian God and all the other various religious deities. An expression of the archetypes, as Jung might put it.

So, most journal type articles you run across in this arena are generally something along the lines of an analysis of the psychology of a culture as extrapolated through the mythological tales they “invented” to rationalize what they didn’t understand. Articles like this …
https://ejop.psychopen.eu/article/view/351/255

In my opinion, the most common view falls well short of explaining the mythologies of antiquity. The cultures that create these mythologies were grouped relatively close together, which might suggest they influenced one another, yet they each spoke very different languages, had very different cultures, and developed very different writing systems. Not to mention the very different mythologies in and of themselves. By all appearances it would seem each mythology was created completely independently. Yet they all manage to share a lot of commonality.

So if these are the result of a quirky ‘tendency’ of the human mind, why just these cultures? These all located in the regions immediately around the location of Babel? If it were as it’s most commonly thought, the human mind’s “way” of dealing with the unknown, then these types of mythological tales should have been made up elsewhere as well. But everywhere else the common view is more akin to animism. Nothing anywhere near as nuanced and detailed as these.

The accepted view doesn’t offer a viable explanation in my view. This however, Genesis, I think this is a much more cohesive and consistent explanation.

1 Like

The map you posted is too early to be relevant. Even the image from the Wiki article on Early Slavic origins only goes back to 350 BCE.

That image shows just the NORTHERN geography … not the Southern.

The time frame of the maps isn’t what’s relevant. It’s the geographical location. These maps show that these are all in the same region immediately adjacent to where the Babel tower was located.

The Souther Slav area did not exist durimg the alleged time of the Tower of Babel.

That’s fine. Again, it’s not the time, it’s the location. The people who eventually made up the Southern Slav people would have had the same regional history as all the others. Mythological tales would still speak of male/female human in form immortal gods because this is the region where they existed.

They didnt live anywhere near your black dot.

Uh, yeah they did. We’re just above Greece.

2 Likes

In the interest of accuracy, I realized I misplaced my black dot. It should be here …

But all my same statements still apply. That doesn’t change.

1 Like

This is just comical. Does @deuteroKJ questions even apply then? Or does it obviate the whole line of discussion?

Yes, they still apply. No joke.

It’s still the Sinai Peninsula. I just had it on the wrong side.

That’s the other side of the Arabian Peninsula, not the Sinai Peninsula

3 Likes

Yes, wrong Peninsula. My mistake. Thank you Kenneth.

I think we’re getting a little sidetracked by irrelevant details. The point remains, the cultures who created Polytheistic mythologies are all situated around the location of Babel.

Whether that be where my original black dot was, or where it is now doesn’t change anything. The point remains. The region is the same.

I don’t know about other cultures but you should be happy to know that a big number of Southern Slavic deities have been made up after they moved to Balkans. I know that because a lot of them have been said to be connected to certain places (woods, mountains etc.), all of them in Balkans.

But it is the black dot, not the red ones he is discussing. He is discussing the influence of Babel.

Besides, your people didnt arrive on the water front property until long after any influences from the Hebrew would not support Jeremy’s hypothesis.

1 Like