Creationist research on why people reject evolution

First we should get them to accept devolution.

There will probably be a lot of parallels between how people find creationism and how other people find many other conspiracy type movements like flat Earth, anti-vaxxers, climate science denial, moon landing conspiracists, and plasma cosmologists. The common theme seems to be a tight knit community that creates a bubble where false ideas are protected from criticism and ideology is more important than facts.

2 Likes

That YECers are a tight-knit community is certainly debatable.

Libby Anne’s story is quite compelling.

4 Likes

That was exactly my experience, both with YEC and ID. It wasn’t that this data was explained or these arguments contested by YEC/ID, but they were just unknown to the proponents. That was fairly shocking and telling.

4 Likes

This is the prime reason that PS can be so valuable.

2 Likes

That is really messed up. Their thing seems to be to convert people to their peculiar reading of the Bible, especially Genesis. I guess after a long discussion about how Noah got all those dinosaurs in the Ark, etc. maybe they will finally get around to saying something about Jesus.

Not too long ago I was walking through a college campus on my way to an appointment and there was a preacher with a booth set up by the sidewalk and he was preaching. He wasn’t the best apologist. He said “scientists want you to be atheists” (like science = atheism). He said something like, “my grandmother wasn’t a monkey.” There were about 30 students around, many of them laughing at him. He did field questions, which he answered in an angry, sarcastic tone. I thought, wow, for some of these students, this “evangelist” is the voice of Christianity. That thought made me angry. I was tempted to say something but thought better of it, and I had to go somewhere anyway. He had creationist pamphlets, but I didn’t pick up a pamphlet to see what organization or church he was with.