Creationists And Feathered Dinosaurs

I happened to watch the flat earth documentary “Beyond the Curve” recently, and the psychology of contrarians and conspiracy theorists is absolutely eye opening. Robert, thanks for giving us a peak into the depths of human psychology.

3 Likes

Evidently something to do with the Bell Curve and what side of it they are “beyond.”

Did you feel a need to wash your eyes afterward?

2 Likes

I was going to watch that flat earth documentary but I never got around to it.

2 Likes

I viewed it more as a documentary on human psychology. I think it gives us insight into how cults and other groups form, and how group dynamics works in today’s culture. It is fascinating to see how the feeling of belonging within a group can shut off logic gates in the human brain.

Another parallel that I found really interesting is the “meaning of life” stuff in the flat Earth movement. They go on and on about how special they are because someone constructed this domed Earth just for them. Reminds me of creationism where the whole universe is created just for humans, with humans at the center. We hear the same refrains of how all life would lose meaning if the world weren’t created for just them. It all boils down to the phrase, “but it just has to be true”.

2 Likes

@Intjer

wow… subtle! … I see what you did there… or at least I think I do.

Yeah, not everyone gets my sense of humor.

1 Like

Maybe you should record your wisdom in a book… I suggest the title “Flat earthers, creationists and the Lottery”… Subtitle can be “There is no chance that life has any meaning”…

What do you say?

I noticed that mockery was a common feature in the flat Earth community. Interesting.

Isn’t it… it’s also a part of athiest communities…

How about this one . Flat earthers breathe… Creationists do too… Interesting?

Tu quoque fallacies are also quite popular in the flat Earth communities.

And false equivalence?
Or perhaps guilt by association?

Just noting some peculiar parallels between the communities.