Dan Dennett debates two Believers who refuse to say what they believe

You’re not the only one. There’s a reason there’s 7.5 billion people on the Earth. And that’s in the age of birth control.

An interesting thing to consider I feel is this coaxing dynamic that goes on between our physical bodies and the “I” in our minds. The body and brain evolved as a part of us. But it doesn’t control us. We’re in control. So the body evolved ways to coax us into action to get what it wants.

Whatever we are is not something that evolved over time. It’s something that’s been there all along and the body/brain evolved around it.

I am always arguing with myself and losing every argument.

So you say I am in control of my body. My body is telling me that I am tired. Do I listen to my body and go to sleep or do I fight the sleepiness and continue to blog? Perhaps I should go downstairs for a snack? What do you think?

It truly is up to you. Your body can coax you, but ultimately you have to do it. It can and will take over. It can make you cough or sneeze or vomit or pass out. But it needs you for other stuff. And it has to convince you to do it. Because you’re in control.