Earth has two extra moons

Surprised @Patrick didn’t post this already.

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/science/2018/11/news-earth-moon-dust-clouds-satellites-planets-space

1 Like

Glad you did! I encourage everyone to post the most interesting and relevant science here. @Patrick does a great job, but everyone is welcome to join in.

1 Like

Thanks this is great. Great find.

2 Likes

Amazing. The primary source is also worth a read, where I found this a nice summary of the methodology:

…we have investigated a three-dimensional four-body problem consisting of the Sun, Earth, Moon and one test particle, 1 860 000 times separately. We mapped the size and shape of the conglomerate of particles that have not escaped from the system sooner than an integration time of 3650 d around L5.

Of course, this is about the time that Ken Ham would interject with “Computer simulations are not science. They are nothing but sheer speculation aimed at confirming a preconceived agenda.” (Yeah. Oh, the irony!)

1 Like

Extra? We only need one, and these other two are in reserve? Backup?

2 Likes

Together with Russell’s teapot, that makes 3 extra moons :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Don’t know, just copying the name of the article.

Has Immanuel Velikovsky been vindicated?

Just checked who he is, and by just glimpsing at his wikipedia page, I can say this:

It’ll take a miracle to vindicate him.

2 Likes

I will be looking forward to the modifications astrologers make to their peer-reviewed horoscopes in accounting for these additional heavenly bodies.

3 Likes

FYI

3 Likes