Evangelicals Show No Decline, Despite Trump and Nones

Grasping at straws… .the Mainline Protestants will be the first ones to become irrelevant:

Of course, most of the extended trends are going to bend over time… instead of running straight as an arrow… but by 2050 CE, the mainline churches are not going to be looking so good!

1 Like

Hehe, Goerge, that graph reminds me of the YEC argument about changes in the Earth’s magnetic field proving that the Earth is only six thousand years old …

2 Likes

@jammycakes,

I think I acknowledge that the lines will not run straight … but nevertheless, people love Trend Lines … don’t you think?

1 Like

The point is that the graph is misleading.

@swamidass

Yes… agreed… but in a purely transparent way.
And the conclusions reached in the article are even MORE flawed.

It is the year 3122. America is a desolate wasteland where 200% of the population has no religion and -100% is Catholic. When the sun goes down, nomadic bands of double denouncers love to sit around the fire and scare each other with tales of being haunted by Sister Mary Katherine and other R.C. spirits. But some ghost stories are real. Prepare yourself for

\mathit{Nuns}\ vs\ Nones^2
5 Likes

3050 is the year of the last Evangelical and Catholic. The last Evangelical and the last Catholic are arguing when the Rapture finally happens and the last, one Evangelical disappears. Seeing this, the Catholic dies of a heart attack. No one notices this because they are either 200% no religion or -200% Mainline Protestant and no one can tell the difference.

5 Likes

Ooohh, you gave me an idea for a short story.

2 Likes

@gbrooks9 why are you a mainline Protestant?

@swamidass

My favorite Christians are Mainstream Christians…

Well, I did mean Mainline, not mainstream. You seem to like me well enough. I’m not a mainline Christian. What’s wrong with me?

@swamidass

Ha! Its not you… its your fellow denominationalists!

You are bringing them a better future. Lets see if they have the vision to see it!

My favorite Christians are @Greg’s non-Christian Christians.

2 Likes

I prayed for you this past week that you would become a Christian Christian. .well, not in that exact semantic.And how was your weekend Patrick? We are tired…went to pick up 2 of the 3 kids at Christian Christian camp in NC making a work pitstop at our cabin in TN. The cabin is not Christian Christian, it is just stuff. You like to fish? I will treat you to a guided striper fishing morning by my favorite Christian Christian guide down close to our place there in TN. We promise to not overflow too much before you our love for our Creator Jesus if this makes you uncomfortable. And im serious too. You are welcommed to visit.

While you pray for me, I will think for you. I hope your kids had fun at the Christian Christian camp. Are they learning to be good Christian Nationalists at those Christian Christian Camps?
No I do not fish. But I do like to go to the excellent seafood restaurants along the Jersey Shore for fish. Thanks for the invite to TN, however, to leave the Jersey Shore in summer would be an abomination, heretical, and blasphemous. Instead come to the Jersey Shore and I will take you to some five-star seafood restaurants with excellent fresh fish and great wines also. If you decide to come, I will invite @NLENTS to join us in Asbury Park NJ for great restaurants and music.

Ok. Thanks. If im in town i would promise u that id look you up.

@Greg 's non-Christian Christians are a rather large camp.

I’m almost definitely one of those.

1 Like

And what criteria, exactly, does @Greg use to judge who is a non-Christian Christian as opposed to a Christian Christian?

Literalism, infallibility of the Bible, 6000 year old earth, etcetera, etcetera. Neither one of those is among the beliefs I hold.

2 Likes