Fascinating article on a topic biological interest, with larger implications

https://aeon.co/ideas/consider-the-axolotl-our-great-hope-of-regeneration

2 Likes

Those crazy scientists!!

In 1920, the British biologist Julian Huxley found that he could cause axolotls to metamorphose by feeding them bits of sheep thyroid.

Who comes up with these ideas? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a test of the hypothesis that hormones trigger metamorphosis. Even in 1920, it was known that the thyroid gland was a major source of hormones. What’s crazy about it?

Makes you wonder why the Intelligent Designer gave this regenerative capability to salamanders but left it out of humans. I thought we were supposed to be “special”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah, never mind. I’ve already been through this once and I’m still tired.

2 Likes

I don’t know why they are jumping on you. It does seem outa left field.

1 Like

How does answering a question constitute jumping?

1 Like

Eh. Some other word then.

1 Like

It’s no big deal, John. It’s just a matter of understanding a set of words as humor versus as a mere assembly of letters into a thought. It’s just perspective. I’ll learn to shut up some day.

1 Like

Hey man, I was thinking the same thing, “who comes up with this stuff?” I had no idea why they would do that.

Science history is full of people doing weird, insightful things. Even though I studied physics and chemistry, I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and insight of biologists. The complexity of the systems they work with is mind-blowing.

5 Likes

And to go further, it seems unlikely that we would evolutionarily maintain this ability given our size and the blood loss involved. Scarring is much faster and therefore more likely to result in more progeny.

1 Like

The discovery of hormones was a big deal during that era. The first insulin treatments came from ground up cow pancreas, as another example. Grinding up organs, extracting different fractions, and injecting them wherever was the wild west of biology back then.

3 Likes