Geologists reveal ancient connection between England and France

Here is one for our Europeans to enjoy:

The British mainland was formed from the collision of not two, but three ancient continental land masses, according to new research.

That puts the University of Plymouth in France. Perhaps they don’t like Brexit.

What is of mystical interest is how the continental blocs correspond to people groups: the English are neatly divided from the Scots, and South Devon/Cornwall (“Celtic” regions) from the English.

I’m not sure why they omit the Loch Ness fault north of which, as I understand it, is a chunk of North America, but that would separate the savage Highland Scots from the lowlanders (Sassenachs).

Only the Welsh seem to lack a good geological reason for nationhood, so we’d better start suppressing the Welsh language again.

1 Like

Why do you say that, when you just said you can’t fault the Welsh?

1 Like

I said it to spite my brother, who speaks Welsh!

There’s a really bad pun in what I wrote.

I did realise that - I didn’t think you were just trying to Save the Wales.:grinning:

Does anyone? I mean the reality that seems to be emerging, not the fairy tale presented as fact during the referendum.

And I guess it explains Sussex vineyards.

Not sure of that - Sussex is in England. But it does explain the rather nice sparkling wines from the Tamar valley.

Ah but the terroir! The terroir is French. Even more now with climate change.

ETA Oops! It’s my mistake. The blue bit becomes Cornwall. I’ll get my coat.

Yeah - what will they do when we’re making all the decent wine and they’re only growing cacti?