Geologists reveal ancient connection between England and France

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #1

Here is one for our Europeans to enjoy:

The British mainland was formed from the collision of not two, but three ancient continental land masses, according to new research.

(Jon Garvey) #2

That puts the University of Plymouth in France. Perhaps they don’t like Brexit.

What is of mystical interest is how the continental blocs correspond to people groups: the English are neatly divided from the Scots, and South Devon/Cornwall (“Celtic” regions) from the English.

I’m not sure why they omit the Loch Ness fault north of which, as I understand it, is a chunk of North America, but that would separate the savage Highland Scots from the lowlanders (Sassenachs).

Only the Welsh seem to lack a good geological reason for nationhood, so we’d better start suppressing the Welsh language again.

(Jacob) #3

Why do you say that, when you just said you can’t fault the Welsh?

(Jon Garvey) #4

I said it to spite my brother, who speaks Welsh!

(Jacob) #5

There’s a really bad pun in what I wrote.

(Jon Garvey) #6

I did realise that - I didn’t think you were just trying to Save the Wales.:grinning:

(Alan Fox) #7

Does anyone? I mean the reality that seems to be emerging, not the fairy tale presented as fact during the referendum.

(Alan Fox) #8

And I guess it explains Sussex vineyards.

(Jon Garvey) #9

Not sure of that - Sussex is in England. But it does explain the rather nice sparkling wines from the Tamar valley.

(Alan Fox) #10

Ah but the terroir! The terroir is French. Even more now with climate change.

ETA Oops! It’s my mistake. The blue bit becomes Cornwall. I’ll get my coat.

(Jon Garvey) #11

Yeah - what will they do when we’re making all the decent wine and they’re only growing cacti?