Gigantic mammal 'cousin' discovered

During the Triassic period (252-201 million years ago) mammal-like reptiles called therapsids co-existed with ancestors to dinosaurs, crocodiles, mammals, pterosaurs, turtles, frogs, and lizards. One group of therapsids are the dicynodonts. Researchers have discovered fossils from a new genus of gigantic dicynodont. The new species is called Lisowicia bojani.

3 Likes

Whenever I see mention of the Triassic period, it strikes me that a triceratops from the Cretaceous period (only some 68 millions years ago) lived far more recent to us today than to the creatures of the Triassic period (252 to 201 millions years ago) by a significant factor. I’ve noticed even many journalists tend to lump dinosaurs together as if they lived in a “similarly ancient” time.

Keep in mind that if these therapsid species were clean animals, there were seven of each (or perhaps even seven pairs of each such kind) on Noah’s Ark.

2 Likes

More science hype. It’s a dicynodont somewhat larger than other large dicynodonts known from the same period.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.