Gold From Nuclear Reactors Floating in Space

It is my observation that Creation Science rarely, if ever, passes even a casual reality check (Sorry, Sal). There is a claim, but no attempt to examine the consequences of that claim, or look for any reason why that claim might be wrong.

For this reason, I try to avoid immediate criticism of Creation Science; it simply does not warrant attention. The theological aspects of Creation Science are problematic. It implies a God “under the thumb” of science, which doesn’t fit any definition of God at all.

“Since scientists have managed to create heavy elements in nuclear reactors, there is no reason whatsoever why supernovae could not do the same.”

Nulcear reactors start with heavy elements like plutonium and uranium. That’s a chicken and egg paradox right there, not to mention there aren’t a lot of natural fission type reactors floating in space, certainly not on the scales needed.

Really? How can they start with plutonium when it doesn’t occur naturally?

We’re not talking about fission-type reactors. We’re talking about cyclotrons, for instance. Particle accelerators. They simulate the conditions one would expect to find in supernova explosions.

James,

There is no mention of nuclear reactors or cyclotrons in this article as a mechanism of uranium synthesis out in space:

However, “it is a longstanding puzzle where the heavy elements such as gold, platinum and uranium are made,” said study co-author Alexander Kusenko, a theoretical physicist at the University of California, Los Angeles. “All we know is that the process involves many neutrons.”

The extreme conditions needed to make the heaviest elements could be found in supernovas, but only in rare instances. Current models for nucleosynthesis face challenges explaining the observed abundance of some of the heaviest elements, especially when it comes to the nearby dwarf galaxy Reticulum II, whose stars are unusually rich in such material.

Now researchers suggest the universe’s heaviest elements could be forged with the help of black holes born in the early cosmos.

It’s premature to say uranium nucleosynthesis has been sovled by supernova, and the above authors are looking at black holes for that very reason. The only place where it was demonstrated experimentally from lighter elements was with electricity at the proton-21 and other z-pinch labs and much lower energies!

@jammycakes

I don’t want to add my arguments to the thread as @stcordova is already busy answering the arguments of the other posters. However, here I have to point out that the question of what produces heavy elements in the Universe has been answered by the double neutron star merger event GW170817 seen by LIGO last year. Indeed, the Inside Science article @stcordova posted refers to a paper that was posted before the announcement of GW170817.

1. It was found that the GW170817 emission is consistent with the very distinctive E&M signatures of heavy element production. This shows that double neutron star merger events can produce copious amounts of heavy elements.
  2. Rates derived from gravitational wave observables show that these events occur frequent enough that it can easily account for essentially all of the gold, platinum, uranium, etc in the Universe.
8 Likes

Thanks for that observation about merging neutron stars. That’s way more believable than JammyCakes theory of nuclear reactors floating in space and supernovas.

PdotdQ,

I’m indebted to you sir. I will henceforth RETRACT my claim of the problem of supernova nucleosynthesis as evidence against Old Universe because you have stated at least one plausible pathway through neutron stars instead.

Thank you for what you said. That one datapoint you provided made my participation here more than worth the price of admission.

As a totally unrelated aside, it’s been years since I’ve done physics, and I’ve forgotten so much, I have a question about you’re screen name, PdotdQ, that seems to be the dot product of momentum and velocity, like here:

Am I close?

Classic Salvador!

@jammycakes doesn’t have a theory of nuclear reactors floating in space.

2 Likes

Colorful @stcordova, so much so you won the contest for title of the thread.

Just clarify for us though. You don’t really think that is what @jammycakes was putting forward? He was describing the experimental test of a theory. The fact that you were surprised this ends up getting confirmed by another method shows that his method of reasoning was better than yours. Right?

I give you credit for retractions here. Still, I’m not sure you understand the magnitude of this retraction. We’ve known this for a long time, for example, from the experiments to which @jammycakes referred. Do you know or understand why those experiments were convincing?

I really hope you were just joking.

I am glad that I could be of service :slight_smile:

It’s related, but not entirely what I meant. The equation \theta=P \cdot dQ refers to the tautological one-form, which is an innocuous looking assumption that is very special because:

1. Taking the exterior derivative of the tautological 1-form turns the cotangent bundle into a symplectic manifold. This gives us classical mechanics.
  2. A symplectic manifold is also a Poisson manifold. Integrating the resulting Poisson bracket gives one the quantomorphism group, which underlies quantum mechanics.

Therefore, it is fair to say that the little assumption \theta=P \cdot dQ gives birth to all of physics, which is why it is an “egg” in my display picture. (I am being overdramatic here; it does not literally gives one all of physics, but a significant chunk of it).

2 Likes

Of course there is a nuclear reactor floating in space! It is thought to be located in an orbit around the Sun, somewhere between the Earth and Mars, and the heat from the reactor keeps the tea in Russell’s Teapot hot and ready to serve. You can’t prove me wrong! :wink: :tea:

3 Likes

I thought it was the Sun…

2 Likes

Because the Earth floats in space, aren’t nuclear reactors on Earth literally “nuclear reactors floating in space”?

2 Likes

ok, now how do i get my hands on some of that gold?

I heard the US government hoards them in Kentucky.

1 Like

Hop into a cyclotron and take it for a spin! :wink: :dizzy: :dizzy_face: :sparkler: