Help! A New Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics

This article came up on my news feed and I read through the linked paper. I find it and the paper very intriguing as the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics is fascinating to me. But it’s a lot of words I don’t understand.

Anyone want to attempt something close to a layman’s version? Or where to start with some of the scientific terms? Where you’d go to get a basic understanding of the less familiar ones? Some of the more familiar ones I have a very basic understanding of.

Or if you want to discuss I may pick up a thing or two in the discussion.

Thanks!

However, in their study Lindgren and Liukkonen concluded that the correlation between a location and momentum, i.e., their relationship, is fixed. In other words, reality is an object that does not depend on the person measuring it. Lindgren and Liukkonen utilized stochastic dynamic optimization in their study. In their theory’s frame of reference, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle is a manifestation of thermodynamic equilibrium, in which correlations of random variables do not vanish.

2 Likes

The authors of the paper in question appear to be arguing for a statistical interpretation of quantum mechanics, something along the lines of the ensemble interpretation or stochastic mechanics. Their attempted derivation looks questionable to me, however. I don’t know if the mathematics supports the way they introduce the imaginary unit (general relativity doesn’t introduce it in the same context where they do, for example) and it is only valid for a single particle so can’t accommodate quantum states for multiple particles.

For a layperson such as yourself, I would suggest getting a handle on the more well-established interpretations of quantum mechanics before trying to understand newcomers like this one.

3 Likes