Image of Blood Vessel Cells Wins Competition

Lots of fascinating photos of this and other biological phenomena:

4 Likes

A lot of people don’t know this but Weird Al Yankovic’s fourteenth album was Capillaries & Venules. Its music video for the lead song “Living in an Amish Pericyte” was a complete commercial failure. Fortunately, under pressure from his recording label, Yankovich was able to reimagine the song for wider market appeal.

(That one’s for @Dan_Eastwood and @Michael_Callen.)

2 Likes

Oh, man, those images are fantastic. My favorite is the one of the blood clot, near the bottom. It was incredible to see how similar the clot was to the flesh of a pomegranate fruit! I sense a thread exploring the shared homology between the mammal and the pomegranate, now. :slight_smile: Seriously, though, an uncanny resemblance!

Speaking of uncanny… Weird Al has more than three albums?? @AllenWitmerMiller

1 Like

My favorite as well! I’m really surprised that that one didn’t win the competition. I would love to have a huge blown-up poster of that.

I think the count is well over twenty.

Not bad for an accordion player.

1 Like

I don’t own any Weird Al albums—but if I hadn’t taken the academic career path I did, I would probably have produced music parodies under the far less catchy name “Eccentric & Mildly Amusing Al Witmer-Miller.”

1 Like

Hahaha… Mildly Amusing…

Spectacular photos! Thanks, Allen!

1 Like

I have access to 19 on my Google Play, but some are compliations (Greatest hits). Wiki says 14 studio albums.

Amish Paradise :smile: