In His Latest Review of Behe’s Darwin Devolves, Nathan Lents Misses the Forest for the Trees

@NLENTS Well done!

https://evolutionnews.org/2019/04/in-his-latest-review-of-behes-darwin-devolves-nathan-lents-misses-the-forest-for-the-trees/

Thanks! I don’t think I had seen that one. But thanks for sending me back to ENV because I got a good laugh seeing that they had to extend the deadline for those ID summer seminars that we discussed in some other thread. They had been pushing hard, seemed like at least an article a week, but not enough takers it seems. Aren’t they free and all expenses paid? Ouch. They can’t even give them away. Poor Trollhoffer made a valiant attempt to spin it, “there was such a rush!” “We didn’t want to exclude anyone!” I actually cringed when I read those obvious whoppers. Has anyone ever heard of an application deadline being extended (by two weeks, no less) because of too many applications pouring in? lol

As usual, The Sensuous Curmudgeon has a hilarious take on it: Discoveroids: Not Enough Droolers | The Sensuous Curmudgeon

4 Likes

I have not heard back on my application yet. I wonder if I will make the cut?

3 Likes

Did you seriously apply? You have to get a letter of support from an ID enthusiast, so who wrote yours? We have ten days left. Should @Art and I apply? Who will write our letters? I’m thinking of asking Behe. I’ll write my polite request in an email with polar bears on the background stationery. I think @Patrick will have a harder time getting a letter of support. @T_aquaticus - are you with us? What about @Mercer? @evograd? Can you imagine the scene of us walking in? It will be like the blue oyster bar scene in the first police academy movie.

1 Like

I am sure that @Jerry_Coyne will write recommendation letters for all of you. I will ask Richard Dawkins for mine. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@NLENTS you could send an old-fashioned letter. Here are stamps you could use:

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bear-Sheet-Twenty-Stamps/dp/B006KBEBTO

5 Likes

lol, thanks!

1 Like

I did apply!

You could ask Walter Bradley for a letter, or just request a phone call with John West.

I’m not sure if I could hold myself back for the entire seminar. I would be more interested in a meeting aimed at scientists instead of preaching to the choir.

1 Like

If I went would I have to listen to @Agauger’s whining? If so, I’d rather stay home and put forks in my eyes. :sunglasses:

I checked out records, and you did not seem to fill out the online application. We are now way overbooked, so you will have to apply next year.

Sure, blame the IT dept :grinning:. Some things are the same, no matter where one works.

3 Likes

I did apply when it first came out @bjmiller.

3 Likes

Looks like they lost the application…

https://images.app.goo.gl/mbkop1wdtbjLrdrj6

2 Likes

You certainly seemed to enjoy the sound of her voice, Patrick, if not her words! :laughing:

2 Likes

Would a dyslexic IDist say the God ate the application?

I wonder if the DI would have @swamidass as a guest lecturer as recompense for this oversight. Joshua has shown that he can have discussions on this topic in an objective and approachable manner which seems like a good fit for this seminar.

1 Like

If he doesn’t get to go, it’s their loss.

2 Likes