In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

2 Likes

If this isn’t a wakeup call to US Christians that the current strategies are not working … then what will it take?

It is also a realization that religion’s role in American government and society is rapidly diminishing. Secular morals, values, and ethics of tolerance and reason are rapidly replacing biblical values and morals. It is also clear that Christian Nationalism is Un-American as the US is and has always been a secular nation not under God but For the People, of the people and by the people.

That will have disastrous effects if left unchecked.

Secular morals, values, and ethics of tolerance

Secular morals are whatever works for you. Period. And I’ve seen what secular tolerance looks like.

I have a couple thoughts:

• the percentage of born-again/evangelical Protestants went up quite a bit. To my mind this seems to be a “melt” amongst those primarily involved with Christianity socially and not because of core beliefs. It makes sense that when a religion dominates a society that some percentage are not “true believers”.
  • I think it’s perhaps unwise for Coyne (and others) to pool “Nones” or “unaffiliated” with atheists and agnostics generally. I think this group is maybe a true 3rd category. I interact with quite a few 18-22 year olds and they seem different than the binary Christian/atheist categories. They may avoid public expressions of religion and especially institutional religion, but they often seem to express personal beliefs in spirituality and often don’t seem to have a problem with the general concept of “god”, even the Christian version.
5 Likes

We are a country of laws. And it is secular law and secular reasoning, tolerance and empathy that is making America better. No religion is needed for America to progress like it has for 200 years. Christianity in America in the form of Christian Nationalism is intolerant of peoples gender, woman’s reproductive rights, people freedom of expression. Secular morals are changing America for the better. Less wars, less murders, less racism, less intolerance.

1 Like

Laws require a lawgiver, and they also require an enforcer.

And it is secular law and secular reasoning, tolerance and empathy that is making America better.

There is no truly secular law. America’s laws are still based upon a Judeo-Christian foundation.

No religion is needed for America to progress like it has for 200 years.

We shall see, unfortunately.

intolerant of peoples gender,

Gender is biologically determined, according to science.

woman’s reproductive rights

A euphemism for the ‘right’ to murder infants before birth

people freedom of expression.

Not sure what this refers to.

Secular morals are changing America for the better.

Evidence?

Less wars

Since we’re talking about America, we haven’t had a war here since we fought off the Japanese, but I don’t think you can blame Christianity for WWII.

less murders

Proof?

less racism

Maybe, but racism is only truly defeated with the biblical teaching that we are all descended from one original pair and thus we are all equal, created in God’s image.

less intolerance.

I think intolerance for Christians is drastically on the rise.

Yes it requires democratically elected lawmakers who are responsibly to the people who elected them.
And it requires law enforce who are trained and compensated to serve and protect the people they serve. There is no place for a God in secular legislators and secular law enforcement.

America law has never been based on the Judeo- Christian foundation. The US constitution is Godless. The First Amendment contradicts the First Commandment.

Gender is part of an individual’s freedom of expression. It has nothing to do with biology.

A fetus is not a baby. A fetus is not an unborn or a preborn baby or child. A woman has the human right to decide what to do with her body as she choses. No government nor religion has any authority to say otherwise.

A lot of good charts in:

1 Like

Yes, intolerance for Christian’s intolerance of LGBTQ, women’s reproductive rights, immigration, inequality.

1 Like

These people decide what is morally right and wrong?

America law has never been based on the Judeo- Christian foundation. The US constitution is Godless.

These claims are patently false. Why is bestiality illegal here? Why is polygamy illegal? Why did adultery use to be illegal? Sodomy? Why is God the Creator mentioned specifically in the bill of rights/constitution?

Gender is part of an individual’s freedom of expression. It has nothing to do with biology.

On what are you basing this claim?

A fetus is not a baby. A fetus is not an unborn or a preborn baby or child.

Scientifically, what difference is there between a child born 3 weeks premature, and that same child being born on time, three weeks later? Why should the first one have the right to live, while the second one, at the same point in time (being still in the womb) does not?

Yes, intolerance for Christian intolerance of LGBTQ, women’s reproductive rights, immigration, inequality.

What you are calling ‘intolerance’ is actually the morality written right into the Bible by God. So intolerance for the Bible is on the rise, you admit?

Each individual decides what is morally right and wrong for themselves. Laws don’t dictate morality. Laws are made to allow people to live without being discriminated against because of their own freedom of expression.

US law in a free society was never been based on the bible. And adultery isn’t illegal, neither is sodomy, interracial marriages. Bible is full of sanctioned rape, slavery, subjugation of woman. If one were to live under biblical morality today they would be arrested and placed in jail.

A person’s right to freedom of expression to be any gender that they like to be and to express their sexuality as they chose.

Viability. Until the fetus is viable to live outside the mother, the mother has a constitutional rights to chose to continue or terminate the pregnancy. It is not murder, it is reproductive health care.

You have no Constitutional rights given by God. You have rights given by the US Constitution in a democratic society. The bible and God has no place in defining laws, morality, ethics and values of society.

1 Like

If everybody decides it for themselves it’s no different from saying it simply doesn’t exist. If everybody got to pick their own speed limit, there would be no speed limit. What about my own freedom of expression to believe in the Bible? Should that be discriminated against?

They used to be, until society began liberalizing. Did you realize that?

That’s misleading. God’s morality never said those things are OK for people to do. What you are disparagingly talking about were cases of war that God deemed necessary.

A person’s right to freedom of expression to be any gender that they like to be and to express their sexuality as they chose

I know you think that, but what are you basing that claim on?

Viability. Until the fetus is viable to live outside the mother, the mother has a constitutional rights to chose to continue or terminate the pregnancy.

So you’re saying a fetus born prematurely is more ‘viable’ than one which is not? Can you cite a doctor or peer-reviewed science paper on that?

That’s not what I asked.

Laws do exist for people’s safety. Speed limit is a law. Laws are for society to adhere to, Morality is individual. You have a fundamental right to believe in the bible but you don’t have a right to stone gay people because it says so in Leviticus 20:13

1 Like

Do you really believe that Christians are commanded in the Bible to stone people?

I have a son (age 27) who was born at 24 weeks (3 weeks before viability) to save the life of the mother. It was a legal termination of pregnancy to save life of the mother. Fortunately technology existed and was used to allow a 24 week gestational age neonate to survive.

It use to be legal to own slaves, so yes laws do change for the better.

That’s great news, but why do you say “fortunately”? Prior to being born, according to you, your son was not ‘a person’, or ‘a child’, at that point. So why not just abort and start over? Sorry if that sounds callous, but that’s the implication of the view you are putting forward here. It’s not what I would advocate obviously.

It is not misleading. The bible is full of rape, salvery, God saction brutality. God himself carries out genocide, killings of animals, crops, children, and innoocents throughout the bible. The bible is full of brutality war murder, intolerance and injustice. There is no place for biblical injustice, intolerance in today’s society.

God deemed necessary? Why? God deemed it necessary to kill first born Egyptian babies? God deemed it necessary to kill the entire population of the world’s humans, animals, plants, in a supposeit worldwdie flood.

When are you going to realize that bible is a atrocious book about a tyrant God. Good thing it is purely fictional. The God of the old testament is the most guilty of crimes against humanity than any character in fiction or history.

1 Like

Why not? Why shouldn’t there be? There always has been before, and it’s been working out great for us. There’s no better place on earth to live, in my opinion, than America.

Yeah, God did deem it necessary. And God is omniscient, you aren’t. That means you aren’t really in a position to argue with Him.

When are you going to realize that bible is a atrocious book about a tyrant God. Good thing it is purely fictional. The God of the old testament is the most guilty of crimes against humanity than any character in fiction or history.

You just said everybody gets to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. I believe everything God does is good. Who are you to say I am wrong?