Introducing Craig Johnson

This is my first post, so I apologize if posting an introduction is unacceptable, and if it is I apologize. Anyway, I was directly invited to join by the Peaceful Science facebook account. I leapt at the chance to join a community where I could discuss science, theology, philosophy, logic, and reason in a forum where I don’t have to wade through the sewage of the average public forum. I’ve actually been looking for a place were I could express my opinions and have real, honest discussions with people, like minded or not, without having to worry about someone resorting to personal attacks or any other nonsense. So I look forward to some stimulating, interesting discourse.

3 Likes

Please tell us about yourself! We’re glad you are here.

1 Like

It is welcoemd. I’m glad you hare @Kwjibo. Tell us more about yourself?

I was impressed by these posts of yours:

I can’t prove there isn’t an intelligent designer. I can’t prove that life is the product of said designer. I can’t, and I wouldn’t even try. That being said, being a dedicated skeptic, I can’t accept the ID hypothesis because as it stands there is an utter paucity of supporting evidence.

I think you were right to hold of the “strong” anti-ID-ism. Your feed back on my article was helpful too.

By the way @Kwjibo, you are coming at a fun time. The Discovery Institute is publishing an article every day about us right now. One per day. Should be a fun ride. Join in the fun!

1 Like

More about me? Alright, let’s see here. I was raised (baptized and confirmed) Roman Catholic, of which I was fairly devout for well over the first half of my life until I couldn’t justify why I held those beliefs. While I’m an atheist, it doesn’t define my ideology or worldview, rather it’s a result of my dedication to skepticism. Experience has taught me that the term skepticism means different things to different people, but my personal understanding and usage of it is “when presented with an assertion, reject it (not reject it as possible, reject it as true) until there’s sufficient reason to accept it”. To me it seems like common sense. If you accepted every assertion until proven otherwise you would necessarily hold opposing and mutually exclusive views and that would just be a mess. I have 2 degrees, an associates in arts and science and a bachelor’s in music performance, but have been taking classes at an extremely part-time basis on philosophy and logic. At the rate I’m going I’ll have a masters in another 3 or 4 years. What I do for work isn’t in any way relevant so no need to divulge that. I’ve spend extensive time learning many different religions from those who practice them, including Christianity (obviously), Judaism, Hinduism, and even a few years digging into Asatru. While interesting from an academic point of view, none of them have, in my view, provided compelling evidence that they are true, so as it stands I’m still an atheist. A soft atheist, that is, not a hard atheist or antitheist, meaning while I don’t believe there is a God, that doesn’t mean I do believe that there is no God. I can’t really think of anything else right now, but I look forward to interacting with everyone.

2 Likes

Hey @Kwjibo, that makes a lot of sense to me. I think you are asking the same sort of questions I ask myself about Christianity. I ended up finding evidence (Peace Be With You) but that is another story.

Do you identify with any of these archetypes? Seven Atheist Archetypes You remind me of @patrick, as he is an ex-Catholic, though I am sure you are nicer :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

@Kwjibo Welcome. And looking forward to conversing with you. In order to verify who you are can you please send me via private message some pieces of information that I can use to verify your identity. This information will be keep in strict confidence and only be use to confirm that it is really you. We need to do this because PS has been the victim of sockpoppery in the past.

@patrick, i’m certain @Kwjibo is not a sockpuppet. We don’t have a verification policy in place yet. Leave him be on this :smile:.

Oh yeah, don’t worry about anything like that. I’ve been looking for a forum just like this so the last thing I would do is wear out my welcome.

3 Likes

Ok, I am not going to ask him to prove that he really is a TRUE atheist and not just an Atheist In Name Only (an AINO). :rofl:

You guys got me, I’m really Ray Comfort disguising myself as a sketpic atheist.

2 Likes

I have a diagnostic question to verify you as Ray Comfort. Tell us about how God designed bananas??? :banana:

3 Likes

Ah, the banana, the atheists nightmare. Just hit your knees and ask God to reveal himself to you, and if he doesn’t, you did it wrong!

Ohhh, that guy…

3 Likes
1 Like

I wanted to ask, is any member of this forum, as far as you guys are aware, a quantum physicist? There’s something I want to ask regarding something I’ve been hearing recently and I wanted a genuine expert opinion/explanation on it.

1 Like

@dga471 is an experimental physicist in the quantum domain. There are other @physicists here too. Start a thread with your question and see what happens.

Will do

Oh, which category do I post that under?

Conversations, with a Science tag.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.