Introducing Freakazoid

Introduction

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #1

Continuing the discussion from Alter's Case Against The Resurrection:

Nice to meet you @Freakazoid. Welcome to Peaceful Science. Tell us about yourself? What brings you here?

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #2

Also, what is your training? I appreciate your help on the other thread. We’ve needed someone with the NT knowledge here for a while.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #3

@Freakazoid is that your real name? Would you like to be called Mr. Freak or is Ms. Zoid more appropriate? Note that your voice will be considered more credible if you drop the anonymity.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #4

100% true. We place a premium on real identities, though we do allow anonymity.

Someone mentioned this forum on Facebook. I’ve been viewing it for a few days and thought I could help. I’m a grad student right now (about 2 years so far), but I might quit my program. The job market is terrible. Lots of programs are shutting down. There is a big move to adjuncts. No matter how good your degree, getting hired is a crapshoot.

I respect that, but I would like to retain my anonymity due to the fact that I am still a grad student. Sadly, there are a lot of academics that can and will go after you career if you offend them. There is stuff I can say online that I wouldn’t want to say in real life.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #7

This is a valid reason to be anonymous. What type of graduate school are you in? What are you studying?

I’ll soon have my masters in what is basically new testament studies at a secular university. It’s a good program. I like to study issues related to the Gospels although I try to keep up in other areas as well. I have the option of doing an Phd but am seriously reconsidering it.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #9

If you have tuition covered, you should do it. It is a great opportunity to spend time learning, and get your credentials established. There are many paths available afterwards other than academia. Who knows, you might be one of the few that make it too. If not now, after doing some work, maybe an opportunity will come later. If you don’t do your PhD now, however, it essentially closes the door forever.

(Michael J. Alter) #10

Hello @Freakazoid:

If you have the time and the resources, GO FOR THE PhD.

In the few days that I have had the opportunity to read your comments…you appear passionate about your studies. Imagine, having the remainder of your life to be engaged with something that you love and have a true passion. Imagine working in a profession that can (hopeful) have a positive impact on your future students and improve the world [Tikun Olam]

Is it a calling? I do not know…

Imagine spending the next twenty to thirty years learning with those who share, in general, a similar point of view. Think about the billions and billions of people currently living and those who came before you. I assume that the vast majority worked and struggle just to survive or exist, and they probably were not happy campers with their vocation. You have a rare opportunity that has not been afforded to many people. If it is your passion, go for it.

I was a former teacher (41 years)…

And, yes, we do live in dangerous and scary times.

Take care.

Mike

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #11

@Freakazoid, consider the source. You cannot get a stronger endorsement than this. I encourage you to take his advice.