Irish blasphemy law set to go down in flames

Meanwhile the European court uphelds blasphemy law as woman convicted for disparaging Mohammed.

Fascinating articles. The ECHR court ruling leads me to wonder: If a Moslem states that Isa (Jesus) was not the son of God and certainly wasn’t God incarnate, I as a European Christian might feel deeply offended by that—and would call it blasphemy. Will that Moslem be convicted of “disparaging” Jesus? Will the courts protect Christian sensibilities just as much as Islamic sensibilities?

And what if a European atheist hears a Christian street preacher say that atheists will burn in hell? That atheist might feel deeply offended. Will the courts give him penalty of law against the party who offended him?

And what if an atheist states in a radio interview that Christian and Islamic wars over religious beliefs (e.g… the Crusades and the Islamic Conquests of Europe and North Africa) were barbaric and genocidal. Will Christian and Islamic listeners who are offended have legal recourse in the courts?

3 Likes

I can understand why Islamic countries have blasphemy laws (as part of Sharia) and even why some countries with large Islamic populations may think that blasphemy laws are a way of preventing riots. But does anyone here know why Canada has a long history of blasphemy laws?

1 Like