Is Mutual Information Functional Information?

The issue is not God guided evolution but how much and how. Do believe that we know how functional information in the genome is increased? There are 6000 papers on mutual information in pubmed. How is this being taught?

Hi Bill

What is mutual information. So many sorts of information these days!

@colewd

That’s YOUR issue… because you are wtill trying to advance the political side of Teleology.

How much is God-Guided (or God-Governed)? Well… all of it!

God doesnt just create a water buffalo and then walk away. The genome of the water buffalo is part of God’s plan constantly.

How is this taught? Well … it should be taught in aces like Peaceful Science… but NOT in public schools!

1 Like

Mutual information is the information or sequences that are mutually contained in two random sequences. Two examples of a high content of mutual information are the input and output of a digital message over a transition line or two like species DNA.

So you agree that evolutionary theory is false?

Still none the wiser, Bill. Are sequences the same thing as information? How do you decide whether or what information is in a random or unknown sequence?
You say that “mutual information” is… Do you mean two identical sequences, such as occur in a gene duplication event, carry “mutual information”? Do do you mean identical sequences carry identical information?

2 Likes

The answer to this question is yes with a qualifier. Mutual information is more then two identical sequences as it is measuring the similarities.

The other questions do not really pertain to mutual information.

In what way? :slight_smile:

I have to say that measuring information content of unknown sequences is, at our current level of ability, like chasing rainbows. While some progress has been made regarding predicting the functionality of protein sequences not found in nature, the only sure way of testing functionality is synthesis and assaying for various functions. a massive task. This is why it is much more effective to let evolutionary processes find function, as they’ve been doing on Earth for around four billion years.

How do evolutionary processes find protein function. I think you are question begging :wink:

Do you really want to go through the math?

Bill,

How many times have you been told? Random variation followed by differential reproduction. You’ve seen the Giant Petri Dish experiment?

Yes, please! I have a friend helping me, now!

Being told an unsupported argument is an empty experience but as far as empty experiences goes it is one of the best :slight_smile:

Best of luck randomly varying a sequence and hoping something good happens. This has to be the worst scientific idea anyone has ever had.

Cool. Let me know when you are ready to discuss it.

I’ll stop wasting time with you, then. I notice you miss the equally important aspect of an evolutionary process, non-random differential survival - niche design.

You need to show how change to the sequence is not random but highly directed given this process.

The other problem is that many biological functions like splicing, translation, ubiquitin tagging, phosphorus tagging are not niche oriented. They are ubiquitous to all environment. The realities of molecular biology have really been devastating to this theory.

My friend says:

Mutual information is a measure of the amount of statistical dependence of two random variables. So it needs a probability distribution, not just sequences. Covariance/correlation also measures the amount of statistical dependence but in a different way. Mutual Information and Covariance each have their strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like

You need to show how change to the sequence is not random but highly directed given this process.

No I don’t! Variation is random. It’s environmental selection, differential reproduction, that is biased, non-random.

Nonsense. Do you know what soap does to bacteria? Steam? A dry environment?

Do tell :slight_smile:

Ask your friend how you calculate the mutual information of two binary strings.