Is There Visible Proof of God?

Theology

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #221

No, we also have that life arrive on Earth from space.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #222

Also known as “kick the can”.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #223

That’s right. Life could have began long ago and far away, and has been spreading across the cosmos for billions of years and billion of light-years on microscopic meteors.

(Dale Cutler) #224

The radiation in space would have fried any life during the eons. I call it wishful thinking. But you’re right about acronym: Genealogical Amoeba Pansperia, panspermia of the gaps.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #225

Look at you! Reminds me of when you declared your Adam. Seems like science fiction is strong with you :slight_smile:.

That does not seem likely.

(Dale Cutler) #226

I hope that meant that indeed it does not seem likely that life or molecular entities could survive without being dissociated by radiation in space.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #227

We already know that some forms of life can survive indefinitely in space. In fact, if we find life on Mars, it might even be seeded from the earth.

(Dale Cutler) #228

Hugh Ross has been saying for decades that evidence of life will found on Mars and other solar system bodies, detritus blasted up from meteoric or cometic impacts with the earth. That in no way means it is necessarily viable. And transgalactic?! There is more radiation in space than I think your intuition is allowing for. :wink:

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #229

Why not just interplanetary? Or interstellar? Why jump all the way to intergallactic?

(Dale Cutler) #230

Okay, interstellar is fine. The conditions supporting life are so fine-tuned that it won’t be found in our solar system except as I just descrbed. Interstellar radiation levels are still severe. And how many light years away is the nearest star?

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #231

It is not that hard tobe radiation resistant if you are a microbe. Rather than speaking qualitively, produce some data.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #232

(Dale Cutler) #233

I was actually going to suggest that we had evolved from tardigrades. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #234

We do have a common ancestor with tardigrades :sunglasses:

(Dale Cutler) #235

There’s this, anyway…

https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0610030.pdf

(John Harshman) #236

Do we? If I recall, the estimated mean time for a meteor to travel from Mars to Earth is in excess of 20 million years. Is that indefinitely enough?

How did we get on this topic?

(Dale Cutler) #237

@Patrick brought up panspermia. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Dale Cutler) #238

And there won’t be healthy travel to Mars:

Is Gut-Wrenching Space Travel Possible?

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #239

I brought up panspermia as a counter to the claim that “atheist have to believe in abiogenisis” . No we don’t, we don’t have to believe in anything. If you are equating atheists with scientists, then we atheist scientists have many ideas and continue to learn more and more about how life arose on Earth and the universe. Stay tuned. Much is going to be learned.

(Dale Cutler) #240

I absolutely agree.