Local Flood Theory: Why It Doesn’t Work

Ken Ham beats up on Hugh Ross - a compromised Christian who is supporting young people abandoning their faith.

3 Likes

The subtitle of Ham’s article includes this whopper:

Since the geological revolution in the 1800s—driven by naturalistic, deistic, agnostic, and atheistic assumptions—some Christians have been attempting to fit the long ages into Scripture.

Besides being a humorous list of Ham’s favorite “bad words” (i.e., naturalistic, deistic, agnostic, atheistic), that’s hardly an accurate characterization of the geological revolution of the 1800’s. Indeed, many of the pioneers of modern geology were Bible-affirming Christians who were actually looking for evidence of Noah’s flood. Instead they discovered the components and processes which shaped the earth’s natural history.

Meanwhile, I will agree that geology was and is quite “naturalistic.” Ya can’t get much more “natural” than rocks.

7 Likes

Godless rocks don’t count! :laughing:

My favorite bit is this:

During the global flood, these land masses broke apart and rapidly moved to where they are found today (see this article on catastrophic plate tectonics for more information).

“The most explicit texts about the flood, he said, come from Job, Psalms, and Proverbs.”
Frankly, this is a ridiculous argument.

Continents moving thousands of miles in under 100 days is reasonable, but Ross’s argument about explicit passages is ridiculous.

1 Like

Ham was apparently pulling his punches just a bit on the AiG website. This is a quote from the Ham’s facebook page:

“Because Hugh Ross so compromises by accepting man’s pagan religion of evolutionary geological naturalism, he mutilates God’s holy word as he tries to justify his blatant compromise and disregard of what the Scriptures clearly teach,”

Hugh Ross tweeted today about an article written by Tyler O’Neil from PJ Media (here). The article explains quite a bit more about why Ross believes the flood was local.

3 Likes

Have you ever looked at Walt Brown’s “Hydroplate” claims? Wacky Wally has the continents moving from Pangaea to their present locations (sometimes over 3000 miles) in one 24-hour day. That’s accelerating to an average speed of 125 MPH, then stopping dead in the water. :open_mouth: The laws of physics and Walt Brown just don’t get along at all.

2 Likes

Wow. I wonder what Ken Ham’s choice of words would be among his buddies? As for some of us here, we must be beyond the pale, the English language incapable of expressing the sheer depravity of our compromising compromised compromise. Still, I will continue to hold that all truth is God’s truth.

5 Likes

It’s always interesting when YEC’s try to take down naturalism. It works against their own claims that scientific evidence actually points to a recent global flood and a young Earth. They have been arguing for decades that when science is properly done it will point to YEC, but in order for this to be true you have to use the same naturalistic assumptions that Ham tries to trash. What Ham is actually saying is that the scientific evidence does point to an old Earth and a lack of a recent global flood, and for those reasons you have to reject science.

1 Like

That one is my favorite! Continents surfing around the world, hangin’ ten on a layer of sub-continental mud. :smile:

FTW: There is no such layer, Dude!