Methinks it is sort-of like two weasels

And I’m asking what the significance of that statement is, since it can’t rationally tell us that something didn’t evolve.

No, me explaining why it isn’t rational to argue against something having occurred by the statement that X is a priori unlikely, with an analogy to your own existence, is not me confusing anything. The analogy simply makes it more obvious why the reasoning you are employing does not support the conclusion you are seeking.

But we have no reason to think it is. The diametrically opposite is the case. You have unfortunately been misinformed about biochemistry by reading creationist literature I’m sorry to have to tell you.

In fact protein-protein binding is so ubiquitous that it is practically unavoidable by chance, so much so that we know there is selection operating to suppress and reduce the chance occurrence of protein-protein interactions in the cell.

For a nice overview of this phenomenon I recommend this excellent review article:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.chemrev.8b00753

Should one of these protein-protein binding sites however be beneficial, simple and realistic modeling work shows it is easy to select for it instead. It is known that a considerable fraction of proteins are something like one mutation away from forming binding spots on their surface that would make them able to form large fibrils and structures. I have a thread about a year ago where I reference a few papers that detail these phenomena:

How do you know we don’t? What assay did you run, how long did you observe and where? How do you know that some prokaryote out there with some membrane-embedded structure isn’t on it’s way to evolving a flagellum-like structure?

2 Likes