Missouri City Councilman Shuts Down Christian Bigot During Debate Over Equality

“Bigot” - I do not think that word means what you think it means.

1 Like

Well, tell us what you think it means.

If I google “define:bigot” I get:

big·ot

ˈbiɡət/

noun

1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

In your article, which party, the councilman or the pastor, fits this definition?

Clearly the pastor. The pastor spoke against an ordinance that will protected those who are LGBTQ when it comes to employment, public accommodation, and housing. The pastor said that he didn’t think private property owners should have to abide by this ordinance if they held anti-LGBTQ religious beliefs. That is clearly intolerance towards those who hold different opinions and beliefs. Fortunately the council voted 8 to 1 for the ordinance and should property owners discriminate against people who identify as LGBTQ, the property owners will be subject to a fine despite their religious beliefs.

I disagree with the pastor’s opinion, but isn’t intolerance against those who hold different opinions and beliefs what everyone is displaying these days? By this use of the term, everyone who “cheered” at his “humiliation” is also a bigot. It (bigot) just seems to be an incredibly unnecessarily inflammatory term. (And that was a lot of adverbs.)

People meet, opinions are shared, votes are taken and decisions made. The pastor should have been a better neighbor than he was. Too bad for him. Does every Christian, most of whom wouldn’t think for a second of arguing against such an ordinance, have to be associated with bigotry too?

2 Likes

Yes, intolerance, injustice, inequality has been going on in this country since its founding. Today one way to get away with intolerance is to say it is against your sincerely held religious beliefs. It is assumed that your religious beliefs give your the okay to discriminate against me.

I can’t get over this pastor. He claims to be tolerant of people who are LGBTQ. Why would he not want to give them equal protection under the law?

I agree with what you are saying. This is wrong. 8 to 1 said so, and in this country (world maybe) things are so polarized that one rarely sees a separation of more than 51% to 49%.

He should want to do so, but he chooses not to. I cannot explain his actions, words, or motivation. Let him be and be happy that you live in a democracy where people are free to express their opinions and vote their preferences. Some are not so fortunate.

Despite our theological differences, I always have strived to treat you with respect. I choose to do that because of my Christianity and because I enjoy you as a human being. I know that there are many others here who do so also. I think that we can stand together, united, against inequality and say that it is wrong. But if perfection among those who proclaim to be Christians is what you are expecting, it will never happen. There will always be some knucklehead who will say or do something offensive. That’s not a Christian condition, that’s a human one.

1 Like

Thanks, and I think Christians and Secular Humanists (Atheists) can work together to solve problems instead of being against each other on just about every social cause. We should be able to work together on racism, healthcare, climate change, clean air and water, food safety, human rights …
We can make a difference here at Peaceful Science. At some point, Dr. Swamidass will propose something that we together Christian and Atheists can work on regarding racism. I am looking forward to working on this with others here.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I can’t wait to hear about it. You have a huge heart and it hurts you to see those who are defenseless or powerless being hurt, abused or mistreated. 99.999% of Christians feel the same way that you do. With nearly 7 billion people on the planet, and all the awful news at our fingertips, it becomes difficult to keep things in perspective. To a certain extent, it may be that the news may make it difficult to see the good in anything Christian.

I know thousands of people who are involved in thousands of projects around the globe that you would absolutely love. My daughter Annie accompanied a group to Kashmir, a stones throw from the Pakistan border, three times before her 21st birthday. They delivered sewing machines to women who were divorced or whose husbands had died. In their cultures, they were outcast and abandoned because of their situation. They trained them how to use them and make things so that they could build businesses and support themselves and their children. This is hope. This is where the rubber meets the road. I know you well enough to know that you would absolutely support this kind of service ministry.

Christianity is a platform from which this kind of service is encouraged and launched. These projects are individually inspired, planned, networked, and privately funded. They are happening daily, everywhere. Know us for what we do, not a few outliers who do not speak on our behalf! The world is full of good Christian folks doing surgeries, providing dental work, providing food and fresh water, and education.

It is still important to bring up injustice wherever it happens. You are good to do that, and keep it up, but we should do it in the same spirit as the project against racism that you propose. To present a forum for good people to stand up against evil and not allow it to prevail. Furthermore, to stand up and take action when we can do so.

3 Likes