More Cellular Roles Found for RNA

@mung I am not a biologist. I know a tiny bit on proteins, codons and amino acids. But the experts (Josh and Art) say that three base triplets don’t matter in MiRNA, so the result of that is that shorter sequences have lower entropy than longer sequences. Think of it this way - how many possible states (W) can a short sequence have? How many state for a long sequence - much more.

I think that they are counted all the time. A, C, G, and T occur with equal frequency and are thus assumed to be equal probable. But if they were not equal probable, that would lower the information content of a sequence. Information (entropy) is maximized when the letters are equal probable.

Bases are not equiprobable.

1 Like

Ok, billions of bases must have been sequenced. What is the frequency of each base? Close to 25% for each?

Depends on the species, and the location of the genome. IN the context you are discussing, however, the distribution of bases in short and long RNA is the same. There is some number of bits per base, perhaps 1.5 bits.

1 Like

Is this correct:

The frequency of the bases in the genome isn’t equal to 0.25, the frequency depends on what kind of organism you mean. However let’s take a look at some of them:

• bacteria, most of the time we can see a bias towards some bases, this could be a GC bias, for example if the bacteria lives in extreme conditions, because GC can vorm three hydrogen bonds compared to AT which can only form two hydrogen bonds. So it’s genome is more resistent to extreme temperature, less denaturation chance because the stronger bonds. In bacteria there are also some polymerases which have a bias towards bases, I won’t discuss this in depth to keep it short, but from these two points we can already conclude the genome isn’t random
  • Homo Sapien, for example we need CpG Island near our promotor region, to regulate transcription. Further we have higher GC% in gene coding regions to reduce mutation chance, because we don’t want to mutate genes wich are needed for survival. Their are also some sequence which are very specific for example TATA box and Poly-A signal, if our genome would be random, so all base would have a frequency of 0.25 these specific sequence could occur at place where we don’t want them or they wouldn’t occur at places where we want them. We need a promotor (with TATA box) for RNA polymerase binding, if our genome was random we have a big chance we would have genes wihtout a TATA box so no transcription of these genes will occur

So there is slightly less than 2 bits of information per base pair in a RNA(DNA) sequence.

1 Like

So @mung where are you going with all of this?

To summarize:

1. Eric and other ID proponents don’t know anything about applying Information Theory to Biological Systems.

2. Eric and other ID proponents have made zero contributions to the understanding or the application of Information Theory to Biological Systems.

3. Evolutionary Science has a very good understanding how Information Theory can be and is used to gain insights into biological systems

Think of me more as an explorer. Mung the Explorer. I don’t always know where I am going. In my experience, people all too often try to figure out where I am headed and this leads them to make mistaken assumptions which often leads to misguided comments. So I appreciate you actually asking.

I accept this as a serious possibility. I don’t discount it simply because it implies that someone in the ID camp might be wrong.

I accept this as a serious possibility. Kirk Durston may be an exception. There may be others.

Nope. They are as confused and conflicted as everyone else.

The Mung knows. And I can prove it using information theory. :wink:

ETA: Sorry. I should have written that the Mung does not know, and that this can be easily proved using information theory. :wink:

Can you explain?

The evolution of light is easily within the reach of evolutionary mechanisms because someone can easily flip the light switch from off to on?

Gene regulatory networks have to already be in place before they can “evolve” in the sense you are using the term.

What is an miRNA-based regulatory circuit? What are the elements of that circuit and to what extent is that circuit composed of RNA? Easily withing reach of evolutionary mechanisms is yet another ambiguous phrase. How did you determine what is easily withing reach of evolutionary mechanisms? Was it from reading Michael Behe? :wink:

As soon as I cash your tuition check, I will deliver these lectures.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Violating the 48-hr Rule

Psst…Patrick…Art’s not gonna like it if you conflate RNA with DNA. :wink:

2 Likes

Do you ever consider that it might be more fruitful and friendly for you to look things up first, then ask questions only after doing some reading?

3 Likes

I think of you more as a wanderer.

What’s your day job? What do you do for income?

1 Like