Neanderthal Pigmentation

So it has been claimed quite often that Neanderthals had red hair with a light skin, and I occasionally hear blue eyes. Is this the case? Or is say the Red Hair the result of taphonomy? Like say Egyptian mummies, ground sloths, and mammoth hair remains. If it is the case this is actually the traits they have, did have any other pigmentation traits other than the ones people point out, and how common is it? With finally question would these genetic traits from our sister species be affecting the physical characteristics of humans, or not at all?

2 Likes

Not from what I can find. Modern humans have a different red hair gene.

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(17)30379-8

Folks on Quora say the gene for blue eyes is quite recent (~10,000 years).

2 Likes

I laughed when I read the first paragraph and it mentioned Neanderthal genes contribute to smoking status. Who thought of checking that? Perfect. Didn’t want to read further and ruin that amusement.

2 Likes

I only smoke when I’m on fire. :grin:

1 Like

As shown in the paper linked above, there is genetic evidence for the spectrum of eye, skin, and hair color among neanderthals. I would also add that we wouldn’t be shocked to see a correlation between pigmentation and latitude because we see that same correlation in modern humans. There are relatively strong selective pressures for vitamin D production and prevention of skin damage from sunburn.

1 Like

The genetics of pigmentation are very complex and very mutable. AFAIK, we share all of those genes with other mammals.