NY Officials Sued for Allowing Substandard Education at Orthodox Jewish Schools

This is what I fight for. Education is a human right. Religion is no substitute for a real secular education. Note that the lawsuit is against the State of New York not against the religious school or institution. I consider this more egregious than what ID was trying to do in Dover and what YEC tries to do in Texas.

2 Likes

And that’s been a well known problem for many years.

Yes, and the problem is spreading to a city in New Jersey. Exactly the same problem. NJ State Education standards are being ignored as State funding continues to pour in.

2 Likes

Patrick, that is terrible. This reminds me of African American schools before desegregation. This is unacceptable anywhere.

1 Like

In NJ, in a city of 100,000 people, all city government and board of education controlled by an orthodox religion who represent the majority of people and business owners. Funneling $millions of tax dollars into Yeshiva’s that fail miserably at educating young people of the city. And no protest by the victims of this atrocity until now. State politicians afraid to get involved as they are immediately labeled anti-semetic.

It looks like a messing problem. Am I right that this would be the same thing as the government funding Christian private schools. In other worlds, these Orthodox Jewish Schools belong to their religion? In this case, I would have to back those politicians who refuse to fund these school if they do not belong to the state. It sees to be another political machine. The government should only found government schools. They should close these religious schools and transfer the students to public schools. If these wish a kosher lunch, the Jewish students can bring their food from home. Jews in Virginia did not eat kosher lunches but ate what we ate.

It is a very messy problem. Because the Orthodox Jews control the levers of power at the local level - the mayor, city council, and board of education, they run the local government and because of home rule - the schools. There is a public school system in the city but the problem is that the B of Ed allocates the majority of the state and local education money to privately owned and operated Yeshivas. The state of New Jersey allows state and local money to go to private and charter schools but these schools must adhere to state cirriculum and testing requirements for graduation. What is happening is that the Yeshivas are asking and getting religious exemptions out of state education requirements even in math, English and Phy Ed.
This is causing a big issue. The only organization with Chutzpah to sue is FFRF (the atheists). No other secular nor Christian group will go after them. Even the Muslim groups won’t. Power and money is with Orthodox Judaism on this as lawyers and judges are sympathetic to their religious freedom. It is going to be a long hard slog.

Those other groups no matter what their beliefs are should go after the political machine the way we did the Byrd machine in Virginia. We brought them down! I feel that an organization should be formed to accomplish this. The American Civil Liberties Union might could do this; however, there is one problem. It is mostly controlled by Jewish groups however liberal Jews. This is a problem that needs a new political group such as a new Progressive Party. What are your thoughts?

It is local politics. You have to live there. We don’t want to live there. Very little population diversity. Try to get a non-kosher meal there, almost impossible. Try to open a Pork Store in town - no way, and no business either. The people are happy, no one complains about the Yeshivas, no one complains about city government. Elections are free and multi candidate. Very high educated together with massively religious only education. Very sexist with girls receiving little or no education except their religious roles.

Terrible. What about the state court system?

It is tough to get standing. We have to sue the government (state or local) on behalf of someone who has been damaged by the inferior education received. Hard to find someone willing to admit they were damaged educationally and are willing to sue and willing to be supported by the atheists. oy vey

1 Like

I think you’ll find someone. People attending the massively underfunded local public schools are really getting the short end of the stick. You from that way Patrick? Half my family lives around there, I’m a Staten Island atheist formerly.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you mean. That would be rough. I wish I could give you solid advice, but I am not a JD in Law. It is bad when something that is wrong cannot be made right.

1 Like

The article sums it up nicely. Lakewood is about 20 miles away. It is a very nice town. Been to it often. I live in a town that was the home of Bell Labs where Penzias and Wilson discovered the Cosmic Background Radiation confirming the Big Bang. To contrast the educational differences between Lakewood and Holmdel, Holmdel public schools are very highly rated in science, technology, and math and 96% of graduates go off to prestigious universities. The legacy of Bell Labs is still very much alive in the public education system. A YEC would have a hard time here (cognitively speaking) with the Horn Antenna still on top of Telegraph Hill.

2 Likes