Racism and Methodological Naturalism

How so? In all of my training and experiences in the sciences we use objective, empirical measurements in our research.

Again, I am talking about MN, not science. We do not need to believe in the ā€œsupernaturalā€ to account for subjectivity.

What about the methodology side of MN? Donā€™t you need empirical and objective observations in MN?

1 Like

Not as I understand it. The term ā€œmethodologicalā€ is here just a qualifier to distinguish it from philosophical or metaphysical naturalism i.e. to make clear that one is not taking a ontological position that excludes the supernatural, but only doing so for the practical purpose of employing a particular method.

1 Like

What is that particular method?

It can be whatever. If you are making a cake, and you donā€™t expect fairies or angels to be a part of the process, you are using MN in baking.

Everything I read says that MN is synonymous with the scientific method. Do you know of anyone who describes MN as being different from the scientific method?

Iā€™ve never read that. Iā€™ve always seen it described as on attribute or feature of the scientific method. Not as the scientific method.

1 Like

I would be interested in any references you have describing the difference between MN and the scientific method.

1 Like

26 posts were split to a new topic: Faith in science and faith in religion