Randy: Enforcing Honesty and Restoring Colleagues

Excellent post from @Randy:

Enforcing Honesty and Restoring Colleagues - Faith & Science Conversation - The BioLogos Forum

There have been several discussions lately about how to approach people who have dealt with the facts in a less than honest way. Are human beings still evolving in response to any recognizable factors? @AMWolfementioned Marc Hauser, a researcher at Harvard; @sfmatheson and @Jay313 referenced Jordan Peterson (who might deserve a whole thread of his own, as he’s multifaceted, apparently); and Ravi Zacharias’ reference to his credentials https://randalrauser.com/2018/09/ravi-zacharias-apologist-or-fabulist-an-interview-with-steve-baughman/ . http://raviwatch.com/

We all are tempted to cheat. Sometimes, those who are most well off and high-profile experience the greatest pressure. What is the best way to confront and, hopefully, eventually restore those who fall?

This is a two-part question. First, what is the best way to confront and correct dishonesty? Second, once you’ve helped correct the problem, is there a way to restore these folks?

It’s important to remember that whatever rule we use in judging others will come to bear on us-that’s not just biblical, it’s practical. However, I’d appreciate your insight into which, if any, of these folks can be restored; and in which way.

I honestly wonder the same thing. It has been a difficult journey in regards to this with one unnamed organization. I like how @pevaquark answers @Randy:

Second, once you’ve helped correct the problem, is there a way to restore these folks?

If you could actually correct a problem I think that in itself is very restorative. And by that I mean something different than a halfhearted correction that one might see from one of the examples you listed above in recent times. That is a ‘hey everyone, I lied for decades for personal gain sorry about that’ could be a good place to start.

That would be nice to see happen, I wonder if it will.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.