Retire Darwin Day?

It entirely depends on what your objectives are. I would probably skip natural selection and common decent from a non-majors general education course (like the one I was talking about) if you’ve got maybe 4 weeks to cover “genetics”, you’re gonna have to skip a lot.

Even in a freshman biology course I feel like it could be beneficial to open a “biological diversity” section with pop gen and neutral theory rather than a historical development.

This isn’t just about “controversy”, I’m thinking of ways to get students engaged with science. A linear, historical, simple-to-complex progression isn’t always the best.

For instance, thermodynamics is often taught in chemistry by starting with classical, pre-quantum/atom, science from the 1800s developed to optimize steam engines. Only at the end of the semester, if at all, is the more mathematically complicated statistical mechanics sometimes developed. The problem is, statistical mechanics is more closely aligned to what practicing scientists do and the students actually find it more interesting. So I’ve been teaching a stat. mech. - first thermodynamics course for a couple years and I really like it.

2 Likes

It occurs to me that the whole concept of a special "day"in honor of someone’s groundbreaking discoveries, accomplishments, or distinctives, is sometimes named for the individual, or for the central idea involved, as a way to commemorate the past and enshrine its desired lasting effect on the future.
Easter, Christmas, and Good Friday are examples, instead of being called “Jeus” Day. Yet each occasion makes the related topics fit for public discussion.
“Natural History Day” instead of Darwin Day? Well, maybe; it’s not a big deal to me ither way. Darwin should still have his due.
“World Discovery Day” instead of Columbus Day? Now that, I could easily get excited about.
“Non-violent Resistance Day?” Sure!
Or, separate days for Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, or Elie Weisel, to name a few.
Rosa Parks, Susan. B. Anthony, Florence Nightengale, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Pocahantas?
“Forrest Gump Day?” : )

Are there ANY real small o orthodox churches that celebrate this? I see mainline’s post about it. But it seems very few churches that affirm historic orthodoxy are willing to put this on their billboard outside.