Should we launch this forum?

I have managed to set up a discourse forum for Peaceful Science. I’m wondering if this is a good idea or not, and if anyone would want to participate here. What do you think?

Always good to increase dialogue, Joshua. This editor looks enough like the BioLogos software to get me confused about where I am, but that’s just me!

1 Like

If it’s helpful we can change defaul color. Though you can do the same in your preferences. Should we try that?

In all honesty, it might be good to give the forum a slightly distinctive appearance. Instant recognition, and all that!

@jongarvey, How is this? Subtle grey and green…

Welcome here @J.E.S, thanks for coming. What do you think about doing your next weekly question here?

Greetings! Still trying to figure out the interface… (A bit different from BioLogos). I may have unpinned your topic by accident…We can talk further when I don’t have to run…!

It’s actually identically to biologos, but you had moderator privileges that I just revoked till you get oriented. Let me know when you want to give it s shot again.

1 Like

Right purdy!

Puts my universe to shame…

Check out this plugin…

It becomes easy to use a forum topic as the comment thread on your existing blog. It can even keep your existing comments displayed for archival purposes.

@jongarvey as an example of a much easier conversation to have here, is the one we are having on DNA as code or not:

http://potiphar.jongarvey.co.uk/2017/11/28/riddles-wrapped-in-mysteries-inside-enigmas/#comment-10395

Let me know when you want to do a trial run here with your blog. It is also worth figuring out how we might message it. I’ve made a category, all your own too.

http://discourse.peacefulscience.org/c/hump

Hello @vjtorley, where are you hosting your blog at the moment? Angelfire still? Or mainly Skeptical Zone?

Hi Joshua,

Actually, I don’t have a blog of my own. I never have had one. I have a very old Website on Angelfire where I keep my thesis and a few useful Web pages (such as the links to articles I wrote on Uncommon Descent),but these days, I contribute three or four articles a month to the Skeptical Zone.

As you keep posting at TSZ, would a forum like this be useful to you? It would be great to have some more regular interactions. And the TSZ has a horrible comment system (though I do not want all their posts here). Perhaps the ones you think are interesting four our shared purposes might have discussions started here…

Just a thought.

Hi Joshua,

I’m sure that a forum like this one will provide me with lots of opportunities to bounce ideas around, and I like your idea. Should I notice any comments over at TSZ which I feel are particularly worthy of discussion, I’d be happy to post them over here.

1 Like

Josh, I think this Forum is a great idea.

1 Like

@J.E.S, @jongarvey, @vjtorley, @Brad_Kramer

Thanks for your thoughts. Based on this, we can consider this forum open for business. This is a soft launch, so let’s see how things develop over the next month or so. A few things to do:

1. Feel free to post new topics. If you do not have permissions yet, let me know and I’ll make sure you do.

2. When it makes sense, please do direct your communities here. For example it is possible this might be helpful…
    a. if a comment worth of more in depth interaction comes up at TSZ, post it here, but also let them know there that you are doing this.
    b. or at CE-Debate, let them know the discussion continues here.
    c. or at BioLogos or Hump, send relevant discussion here.

3. Thinking about a small number of key people you enjoy interacting with that you can invite here.

We do not need to become a huge forum, but there needs to be enough activity here to be worth it to all of us in the long run. So let’s see how it pans out.