Side Comments on Gauger and Mercer

Comments

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #1

Stop lecturing us on how science is done. You are hypersensitive on having other scientists asking you legitimate questions on your work. I am just watching here with some interest and you seem not willing to explain your reasoning nor your conclusions. All you seem to want to do is to talk about your bruised feelings.
Come on. There are experts here. Engage and debate them. It might make your conclusions more solid or lead to new answers or areas for research. That is how the peer review process works.

Gauger and Mercer: Bifunctional Proteins and Protein Sequence Space
(Ann Gauger) #2

@Patrick
I am ok with legitimate questions. Condescension not so much.

(Ann Gauger) #3

@Patrick, read on.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #4

Ok, how should the sentence be written?

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #5

Do you equate skepticism with condescension? How do you separate legitimate scientific skepticism with condescension. Doesn’t extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #6

Come on, aren’t we becoming a little picky here? Fuhgettaboutit and stick to the science discussion.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #7

I am interested in the conversation too. It looks like a meaningful scientific discussion if @Agauger can just focus on the technical aspects of the discussion and stopping worrying if her ego is being bruised.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #8

Sure we all have plenty of time to go off and reread all your previous writings so that we are sure that we don’t misquote you or misunderstand what you were thinking at the time you wrote it.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #9

@Patrick please back off of this covnersation. I’m 100% certain @mercer and @art can fend for themselves.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #10

How do cells learn? Why did the first cell need to know how to make all 20 amino acids? Could there have been cells with fewer?

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #11

@NLENTS Do you have any questions for @Agauger? You’re an expert in the field and she knows you. Be sure to be extra nice to @Agauger as she is extremely sensitive to anyone criticizing her work. We at PS don’t want to be accused of unwarranted criticism of anyone’s work, like DI did to you on your excellent book “Human Errors”.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #12

@Patrick, @Agauger is going to get an immense amount of criticism of her work. We are not protecting her from that.

(George) #13

@Agauger,

I am willing to apologize (profuselyl).

My only request is thay my apologies regarding him are good for a week at a time… otherwise, I dont believe i can keep up!!!

Nobody deserves his abuse.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #14

Isn’t an 2011 paper extremely dated considering all the subsequent accomplishments in ancient genome sequencing?

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #15

@nlents Nathan, the Biologos Forum https://discourse.biologos.org/t/evolution-or-intelligent-design/39646 is reviewing your book. So far they are doing a decent job of it unlike the hacket job that DI did to it.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #16

@cwhenderson or @glipsnort or @gbrooks9 or @randy or @T_aquaticus , would you mind linking at BioLogos to these posts on @NLents and the DI? I think this is on topic and would be helpful to BioLogos readers…

Nathan Lents: Bad Design of the Eye?

Nathan Lents: My Experience With Discovery

Who is Right About Sinuses?

Common Ground on Bad Design

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #17

Amen, Amen, Amen,

Intelligent Design and Common Descent
(George) #18

@Agauger

And that makes PERFECT sense for Behe to reach that conclusion; even @swamidass anticipates the rational nature of that conclusion.

In fact, its the conclusion I would likely choose as well! If you agree, that would make FOUR (4) on something that BioLogos would most likely not agree upon.

Intelligent Design and Common Descent
(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #19

I don’t think so. David Reich’s book describes tons of them.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Who_We_Are_and_How_We_Got_Here.html?id=a4gqDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

And so does @NLENTS

(John Mercer) #20

I certainly agree. It seems as if Dr. Gauger is unfamiliar with current literature in the field.