Successful Science Entertainment

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2017/04/27/why_bill_nyes_show_wont_save_the_world_110261.html

But successful scientific entertainment programming needs to accomplish two goals: First, draw in a diverse audience well beyond those already interested in science; second, present scientific issues in a way that unites audiences around shared values rather than further polarizing by presenting science in ways that seems at odds with specific political or religious worldviews.

What do you think of this @NLENTS?

I nevr heard of this show. hows its rating? With non kids I mean!
the only important bill Nye thing was the great debate with Ken Ham. Ham won and is still winning from the publicity.
What does it mean to be interested in science? People are interested in subjects that are affected by scientific methodology but unlikely more then three or a dozen. I am but i’m a creationist. indeed creationism more likely brings interst to science subjects for folks who otherwise are just regular folks about these things.
i see no shared values , whatever that means, and i see no poltical/religous worldviews affecting science.
i think that means if you are a creationist of some type then your polarizing for non obediance to some conclusion. HMMM. The whole history of science was correcting previous wrong idea and so polarizing between accuracy and inaccuracy.
will Nye give equal time to ID and YEC on origin subjects?? why do i ask eh!

The Discovery Channel learned that viewership increased when shows included explosions. So, planets colliding, stars going supernova, and fireworks.

2 Likes

As I recall, that first episode of the show fell short of those goals. Nye tackled climate change, and the overall tone did not seem welcoming to anyone who did not already share his perspective. It certainly left me unenthusiastic to come back for subsequent episodes even though I had no quarrel with the actual science content.

Ratings for Netflix shows are tricky. It apparently generated enough interest to justify two subsequent seasons, although those were each half the length of the first. The most recent episodes are from May of 2018, so I’m guessing at this point there won’t be any more.

1 Like