Ten Theses Regarding Creation and Evolution (Todd Wilson)

This is likely to be a sticking point for some. An increasing number of evangelical evolutionary creationists are giving up belief in Adam and Eve as real persons in a real past. The genetic evidence, at least as we now understand it, makes belief in an original human pair doubtful if not impossible.

I suspect in 20 years’ time, support for Adam and Eve as real persons in a real past will be a minority view even within evangelicalism. Should this come to pass, I remain confident that the Christian faith will survive, even though this will require some reconfiguration of our deepest convictions.

That being said, I personally don’t find the genetic evidence compelling enough to jettison belief in a real Adam and Eve in a real past. I admit that the evidence is mounting and at this stage looks (to my untrained eye) impressive. But two scriptural convictions keep me tethered to the historic Christian conviction about the original human pair. The first is the testimony of Scripture, especially Adam’s presence in genealogies (Gen. 5; Luke 1) and in Paul’s Adam-Christ typology in Romans 5. Even more compelling is the idea that the Christian view of salvation appears to hinge on the doctrine of original sin and the fall as an event, which in turn requires a real person to have transgressed and thus plunged humanity into a state of sin from which it needs redemption.

It may be the case that faithful Christians will develop biblically legitimate and theologically sensible ways of explaining the gospel apart from a real Adam and Eve. But until that point, the better part of wisdom is maintaining a spirit of engaged conversation on this issue.

Still no awareness of the Genealogical Adam, but rather a pessimistic prediction that in a few decades a real Adam and Eve will be a minority view among evangelicals. We need to get the word out!

1 Like

Yes, I know. Several people forwarded this article on to me. Perhaps some people can reach out to the author too :smile:.

What do you think @Rogero?

Hell, they might even publish it.

Actually, they’re probably gonna publish it. Might give you a wider audience for your book if you mention it, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry, by ‘it’, I mean ‘Genealogical Adam’.

1 Like

Why not reach out to him and see if he wants to come to one of the workshops. All press is good press?

Yup, with all that free time I have, sounds like a great plan :smile:.

1 Like

Well, you asked. :wink: let me know if you were looking for more than commentary.

Maybe someone else could try reaching out to him. No reason it needs to go through me.

I’ll reach out.