The Fine-Tuning and Design Catch-22

That is not what is happening it all.

I’m seeing math errors everywhere in these information arguments. I cannot make sense of a mathematical argument with obvious math errors. These are unequivocal errors that ID proponents are very resistant to seeing. Look at this exchange…

Yes I am totally exasperated as I say this to @kirk. We’ve had email exchanges before. This might be around the 10th time I’ve explained to him that he has the math wrong here. It took literally writing out the equations:

At that point he writes:

Remember I deal with PhD students all the time. This is a very abnormal experience for me. I love teaching students. I am good at it. It usually does not take this much effort to get someone to see a mathematical error. Something else is at play here, but I don’t know how to name it.

To @Kirk’s credit, I do not think he is dishonest. I do not think you are dishonest either. It looks instead like he genuinely couldn’t see the blazingly clear error I could see. For years I’ve been watching him argue (and watching others parrot him) that 1 + 1 = 3 (metaphorically), where it is just so obvious that this is false to me.

Now, having realized a dramatic and foundational error in his math and understanding, I’m taken a back by the claim that this is just “minor,” and then charge into a direct error that arises from not understanding the consequences of the first correction:

As I explain to him here:

It has been the same issue with your work @EricMH. This is my bread and butter. I’m really good at computational biology, and coming up with how to leverage information theory to solve real problems here. I know how this works. I read the ID information theory work and it is just making mathematical errors.

So I am not attacking ID. I’m just saying that ID certainly does not benefit from fallacious arguments based on math errors. And yes, I do understand ID arguments. I’ve engaged with you guys far more than any one else with this level of training, right?

1 Like