The Rocks Don't Lie: A Geologist Investigates Noah's Flood

Continuing the discussion from David Montgomery: Noah's Flood and the Development of Geology:

@stcordova notes some very interesting work by a geologist.

Has anyone read his book? @Joel_Duff @davidson?

I wonder, why did it take so long to uncover the geological evidence for an old earth?

1 Like

When geology first was established as a serious science in the early to mid 1700’s it didn’t take long at all. James Hutton figured out the famous unconformity at Siccar Point, Scotland disproved a young Earth / Noah’s Flood way back in 1788.

The real question is why have YECs spent the next 230+ years denying the geological physical evidence.

2 Likes

So why hadn’t anyone asked this question in antiquity? Did Greeks just assume it was eternal so they didn’t ask how old?

I’d speculate before the development of scientific methodology and scientific investigations of natural phenomena no one had considered geologic features may actually change drastically over deep time. I believe (but may be wrong) the whole concept of deep time seems to be a relatively new (last 3 centuries or so) idea.

2 Likes

Greeks thought the universe was eternal. Augustine discusses why he thinks pagan claims of recorded linages going back tens of of thousands of generations are not to be trusted. Deep time is not a new idea.

I think an understanding of the implications of deep time for the earth is what’s new. Nobody had really thought about what really long times mean; at most, they had just posited very big numbers without considering the reality of such long periods. “How long would it take for X to happen?” just wasn’t asked.

1 Like

The rocks don’t lie because they are silent. they are rocks! Its people who say the rocks tell them stuff!
I think these old timers just are not as smart as we are today. Geology today is excellent evidence for showing everything happened in fits and starts.
Just like inbiology where is the best evidence for long age from rocks??
And rem,ember loads of biology origin conclusions are figured out using rocks so why not use biology to figure out the story of rocks history?? once again scientific subjects should stick to the subject or its not science.

Like the rocks that form the craters on the Moon are silent? You would think the bombardment of the Moon would be a story passed down through the ages like the supposed global flood. Apparently no one saw anything, not even in the Bible.

No. not if they clustered soon after thev fall. Also its unlikely anyone could see rocks hitting the moon.
Why would such a trivial thing be in the bible? the bible is only about great things.

Trivial? Every culture has stories about the Moon. People have been observing it regularly before the written word.

Now one or two strikes might escape notice, but many thousands, some of which created fissures that issued lava? No, that’s as note worthy as the flood.

Adam Sedgwick was also famous for his abandonment of a single and recent global flood.

2 Likes

And the one historical example Carl Sagan suggested in Cosmos now turns out to be unlikely as well.
WITHERS, P. (2001), Meteor storm evidence against the recent formation of lunar crater Giordano Bruno. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 36: 525-529. doi:10.1111/j.1945-5100.2001.tb01894.x