Theological Premises in Design Arguments?

It’s not required by ID, and as you pointed out, the majority of ID advocates accept some form of evolution or even common descent. But a lot of the rhetoric in ID is “anti-Darwinism”, which for the conservative Christian public translates to anti-evolutionism. We can see an example happening right here in this forum - see the views of Greg in Welcome Greg to the Forum. He seems to be a YEC but is also sympathetic to ID. I have met quite a number of Christians like Greg before. They form a substantial part of the support base for ID.

You are astute in pointing out that many of the regular Biologos columnists are not famous scientists either. I agree that the ID camp contains more qualified people than the YEC camp, for example. But in that context I was also referring to the legions of non-Christian scientists of various backgrounds that all reject ID.

If you read Collins carefully it’s clear why. Collins and Behe both share the same conclusion - that God exists, but they have very different, in fact opposing methods of how to argue that conclusion (or not argue, as you’ve pointed out for the case of Collins). Francis’ counter-arguments against Coyne would be mutually exclusive to Behe’s, so it would be very awkward for them to be on the same team. In fact Behe would be a liability to Collins in a debate against the New Atheists because they would keep emphasizing that Behe’s arguments are bad science, which Collins would agree with.

I get what you’re saying, as there are some examples of people (such as Anthony Flew) who abandoned strict atheism after reading design arguments. But I can also see this working both ways, especially if ID has such a bad rep among the scientific community. (Much worse rep than many other fringe ideas, partially also due to its past political entanglements.) It could discredit Christianity instead.

Thanks. I will keep it in my reading list.

1 Like