Theological Premises in Design Arguments?

They tested their model with phylogenetics. Didn’t you read it?

Then please tell me how mutations in one lineage get moved to a different lineage when there is a lack of horizontal genetic transfer.

I can also produce a block of ice. That doesn’t mean all pieces of ice are the product of intelligent design.

In this study we combined phylogenetic, structural, and phenotypic studies to understand by inference possible evolutionary pathways to high torque in the Campylobacter- type ε-proteobacterial motors.

Need a break but something for you to think about. How does the above directly test the proposed mechanism?

Do you possibly see that the claims of “tested science” are not valid. BTW this is the most comprehensive attempt I have seen so far so great citation by you.

I am sure this is true. Thanks for your patients.

Better to understand one another than argue at cross-purposes. :slight_smile:

1. This isn’t a question about (or test of) design, it’s an example of how statistical methods are applied. In this case I’m posing a common argument in the form of a Bayes factor to demonstrate that, if the question is posed in a formal mathematical way, it requires a tacit assumption. The form of argument is circular, and therefore wrong.

2. BUT, supposing we did have some testable statistical hypothesis about design, we know how to apply Frequentist and Bayesian methods to the problem. There are mathematical proofs of how to go about constructing the best methods for estimates and hypothesis testing, where “best” is defined by certain desirable mathematical properties that would bore you to death (minimum variance, unbiased, uniformly most powerful, etc.). Statistical theory is “finished” in this respect because of proofs showing there is no better way of doing things. There is ongoing work in developing new applications of existing theory, and the best way of applying them, but the theory isn’t going to change**. Statistical Genetics and Phylogenetics, mentioned above, are areas with new methods being developed. To say that we don’t know the right tools to apply to questions about design, is like saying that design is not subject to the same mathematics as the rest of the universe.

** This is one of my complaints about CSI and ASC methods from Dembski, Marks, Ewert, etc… They are trying to construct new tools to detect design, but theory tells us we already have the tools.

From your equation the tacit assumption appears to be there are only two alternative solutions. Your tacit assumption also assumes you know the overall probability given all possibilities.

The fact given all you know that the equation for design is 1 is not trivial.

This is the cause that the math is telling you as you are comparing a highly deterministic process to a highly probabilistic one for being the cause of certain quantities of functional information.

We know conscious intelligence can create large quantities of functional information and mutual information. The mechanism is well known and very effective.

This is an interesting comment and I think I agree. The gap between where we are and increasing certainty of the design inference is empirical and not mathematical. The empirical evidence has been increasing dramatically since I have been following these debates.

If we want to prove that the process is not stochastic it is not setting up horrendous probabilities like 10^150 but showing how sequences break down with odds like 10^3 of deleterious mutations vs beneficial which is clearly inside the functional vs non functional sequence for protein coding genes.

Bill Bassemer and John Sanford wrote an interesting paper recently on this very issue.

The prospect of explaining the principles of statistical inference in an Internet in order to sort sort out what was wrong with all that is quite daunting. I’m gonna go with “I’m not sure you really understood what I meant”, and leave it at that. :wink:

This is an interesting comment and I think I agree. The gap between where we are and increasing certainty of the design inference is empirical and not mathematical. The empirical evidence has been increasing dramatically since I have been following these debates.

I think you are misunderstanding again. In statistics it’s the sample that should be random, there is no difficulty with taking random sample from a population that is deterministic.

AND I have to disagree about increasing evidence for ID as well. The only serious attempt at testing design hypotheses was a deliberate nose-thumbing to ID proponents for not testing obvious hypotheses (I think we discussed that topic when I first got here).

So we can agree to disagree. Thats fine :slight_smile: I have studied enough statistics (although many years ago) to understand some of its limitations in real world applications.

Again lets agree to disagree. I don’t think you may be familiar with all the work done. The more challenge to the Darwinian paradigm by new discoveries in molecular biology the stronger the ID claim. Have you followed gpuccio’s work at UD?

We are testing the ID hypothesis by these discussions alone. The ability to exchange abstract thought through exchange of arbitrary symbols.

As the ability to transcribing DNA containing introns and exons, alternative splicing of exons and then translating the exon sequence to proteins that perform cellular function.

If there is one specific topic coveered by Guccio you think would be enlightening it might be worth its own thread.

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: A Ubiquitin Response to Gpuccio

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome Greg to the Forum

A post was merged into an existing topic: What is Up With Physicians?

@dga471,

Believing in evolution and climate change does not effect my politics at all. It would only effect one’s politics if she believes that the only way to deal with problems is to use violence or the threat of violence or force to accomplish her goals. And most people unwittingly believe this. :slight_smile:

I accept the MAIN conclusions of scientists regarding evolution and climate change, but think that ideally, the state should get out of the education business altogether, and I would still not be for stringent regulations regarding climate change. Let one private school use a Dawkins textbook and another use Dembski. I would love to send my future kid to a private Christian grade school that does NOT teach YEC, but other than Catholic schools, I’m not sure these schools exist.

And as insane as it may sound to some, it seems plausible that voluntary rather than compulsive choices to address climate change would be just as effective. Yes, I know I sound like a crazed lunatic, but it doesn’t mean I am one. I’m just a libertarian. Even though some people might automatically equate the two. Haha

Are you against secular public education funded by taxes? I believe that education is a human right. How would you assure that every child has access to an education?

2 Likes

I’d rather not discuss the ins and outs at the moment, but the short answer is, I think there’s good reason to believe education could be provided without the state. And if someone has a “right to education,” this means that you have the right to enslave someone to educate your child.

The only rights, from a libertarian POV, that exist, are negative rights. The right not to be killed, to not be aggressed against, to not be stolen from, etc.

As Christians, we have OBLIGATIONS to provide for the less fortunate but this is different from someone having a RIGHT to food, healthcare, education, etc. this would necessarily imply enslavement of others to provide that right.

History has shown that important social systems fail when they rely solely on donations. This is why we have Social Security, Medicare, and yes, public education. If you think taxes are enslavement then nearly the whole world is living in slavery. I don’t think that makes much sense.

2 Likes

First of all, I am not a Christian. But I am an American citizen. I believe that it is an American citizen’s birthright to the freedoms in the US Constitution, as well as a right to an education and a right to healthcare and minimal subsistence housing and food, income. I don’t think it is the responsibility of religious organizations to provide essential services to people, instead it is the responsibility of a responsive government to provide these essential services in the most efficient and cost effective manner to everyone equally without regard to their ability to pay. Of course, those who have the ability to pay can get more that minimal essential services. I am a capitalist not a communist. :wink:

This shouldn’t be the case in America:

Haha. Yes, nearly half the world is essentially living in slavery in this regard. That is correct. Essentially the entire world used to approve of owning slaves, and now most everyone considers everyone before us to be wrong in that regard.

It might be helpful to look at Austrian economics, particularly Mises and Rothbard. As far political philosophy goes, which probably wouldn’t be at all convincing without first understanding the basics of Austrian economics, Lysander Spooner is great as is Murray Rothbard’s “Anatomy of the the State.”

I know what I’m saying sounds outlandish and insane, and maybe it is. But I’ve only encountered 1 or 2 people who have read through Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazzlit and or Human Action by Mises and kept their more progressive political outlook.

I’m actually quite relieved at the response to what I’ve said. I was expecting someone to call for my beheading.

Thanks for talking in a civil manner.

I would much rather have people give voice to crazy ideas than make everyone agree with me. :wink:

Just as a very quick counterpoint before this totally goes off the rails. In the US we have the right to bear arms and the right of a free press. I don’t know of anyone who is being forced to make guns or write newspapers. It seems that the government is able to create and/or support economically viable systems that serve those rights while avoiding slavery or indentured servitude.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 40 days. New replies are no longer allowed.