Time Travel: Is it possible?

@Patrick

Interesting ideas, Gentlemen. I have more now to contemplate. Concerning the force field, I was thinking of my own thoughts and then the recent movie of the H.G. Wells " The Time Machine." Nancy and I saw it perhaps five years ago. This subject would be interesting, and if it could be done, many mysteries could be solved. I would like to thank you too for joining in. If we have any more ideas, I hope we shall share them.

Because we live in a universe that is expanding in both space and time it is not necessary to build a spacetime machine to study the past nor the future. The Coperican Principle says that we don’t have a special place in space nor time. So, if we want to see what the Earth looked like 4 billion years ago, look into space for planets in that stage of development. The observable universe is so vast (a sphere presently 46.5 billion lightyears in radius from Earth), we can see into the past as far back as we want to go (or have the technology to see). We can’t look back and see the day the asteroid struck on Earth killing the dinosaurs but we can look for an Earth-like planet in similar stage of evolution getting hit by an asteroid and watch what happens.

1 Like

Good idea, Patrick.

My personal view - - totally unprovable as it is:

Everything happens all at once… with the human mind flowing sequentially over a part of it.

The only thing that can travel is “awareness”. It’s the only thing that won’t change the future or the past.

2 Likes

I like that idea, George. Good Thinker.

I have enjoyed our talks today. Take care and good thinking.

1 Like

I just saw this and I have to weigh in.

I know many Christians think of demons as something that might prove Christianity, or, at least, disprove naturalism, but I just see it as another, probably the biggest yet, philosophical problem of evil.

1 Like

@AllenWitmerMiller

I think Eastern Orthodox and Catholics have a few more options when it comes to “ghosts.” Could be demonic, absolutely. I’ve been to seminary, I have no doubt the demonic exists. But also, since we believe in some sort of middle state of the soul, general prayers for the departed have been known to “calm down” “ghost” activities.

Sorry to hear that you experienced the demonic at the seminary. I hope you can mentally heal and realize that demons don’t exist. Human can do evil things but most humans have evolved to be emphatic and compassionate.

1 Like

@Patrick

You’re right. I change my mind. Demons don’t exist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would rather not debate this at the moment. Sorry for bringing the thread so off track. To be clear, I wasn’t referring to people being terrible. I was referring to other things that didn’t originate in any human interaction.Rather not get into that now.

Soo…time travel!

I think it depends on whether one accepts the A or B theory of time. If the B theory is true, and I think it is, then if we could time travel, I think it would work the way it does in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and 12 Monkeys. Back to Future, as wonderful as it is, doesn’t make much sense. Pictures starting to dissapear, etc…

1 Like