Two Rooms in the Forum?

Thanks for clarifying, Joshua. So you are aiming for a wider discussion than just origins. I get this now. At the same time, my original problem remains. You grant that the science/theology relationship on subjects of origins is still a topic of great interest to many here. And whenever we do discuss science/theology/origins here, the question: “Would scenario X be a possible harmonization of the truths of theology and the truths of science?” seems almost always to turn into: “Why should anyone accept anything theology says, anyway? And in addition to being intellectually unsupported, religion is bad for society.”

As Daniel says in another post, I think this is a function of the particular set of posters we have here. And it’s not unique to PS. Discussions took the same turn on BioLogos. It might start out with an atheist supporting a TE against a creationist regarding the science of evolution, but very often it ended up in some form of “religion vs. science”, with the atheist bashing Christianity in particular or religion in general. So the question is: how to prevent every discussion of the relation between God and evolution, or between theology and science, from getting sucked into that vortex. It seems to me that some refinement of the ideas George and I have put out would solve the problem, and in a way that would not exclude any atheist or agnostic from participating in any discussions. I leave to to greater minds here to fine-tune the suggestion and turn it into something practical.

Thanks for listening.

3 Likes