What do Indian Christians think about John Allen Chau?

This is a controversial topic, and it will be regulated tightly by the @moderators. There have been many articles about the western missionary killed by isolated islanders in India. Opinions are strong in many quarters, but I noticed that one missing voice is that of Indian Christians, those living in India. I’m very intent in learning what they think about this story.

@Ashwin_s, you live in India, what you do you think, and what are you hearing from other Christians in India?

@Mercer, you aren’t Indian, but you lived in India. What have you heard from Indian Christians?

Personally, it was a conflicting experience. On one side, I was challenged by the man’s commitment to the gospel and his zeal to reach the lost.
On the other hand, there is regret that a life is lost. I have read news reports that quote his journal entry below-

“I think I could be more useful alive . . . but to you, God, I give all the glory of whatever happens,”

Perhaps God will use this incident for the good.

It’s difficult to blame the tribals (even though they are to blame!)) as the situation with them is complicated. I don’t see what’s the point in keeping them isolated denying them education ,health care etc which is available to all Indians. Most Indian tribes have atleast rudimentary access to public health and education. They have all the rights and privileges any Indian has and some special protections in the constitution. They can vote and choose their leaders. The government also gives them some special rights in the area they have historically occupied.The situation with the tribes in Andaman is a special case and I am not familiar enough with history to know why it is so (probably because of their extreme hostility to outsiders).I guess no one has figured out how to bring them out into the world without bloodshed. Perhaps this incident will rekindle the debate.
Efforts are still on to recover his body, though unsuccessful.

3 Likes

I’m no longer in India, and I haven’t heard anything.

I have visited the Andamans, though, and I repeatedly came across the status of North Sentinel Island, so ignorance is unlikely to be a valid excuse for Chau’s choices.

This article had an interesting take on it:

1 Like

Those legalisms don’t compensate for the basic rights they lack in Indian SOCIETY.

1 Like

Be cautious of being too judgmental of another country, lest the same standard be applied to us.

4 Likes

You are right.
However legal rights are an important change. This gives legal room for socio/political movements. In the end only sociopolitical movements (for example what happened in South Africa/US to end apartheid) can really make a change.
Such movements have happened in some states like Kerala, Tamil Nadu etc and this has brought actual change in how people are treated/live. Many states have not had such a movement. But it’s important that the constitution guarantees rights and I am glad we have passed that hurdle in India.

1 Like

Both countries fall far short of any reasonable standard.

1 Like

I agree that they are a good start.

2 Likes

Yes it is.
But ultimately it’s upto citizens of a country whether laws meant to bring equality actually do.
Change is not guaranteed. It has to be fought for.

1 Like

I thought this was an interesting look at some of the history. The author is Indian, so I think I’m on topic

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.