What is evolutionary theory?

Without serendipity 2500 AA structures do not fold into a functional secondary structures such a alpha helixes and beta sheets.

You determine the activity then you estimate the substitutability of each AA location. Activity does not equal biological function.

MG+ levels vary depending on the condition of chromosome structure. They are highest during meiosis where chromosomes are tightly wound. The spliceosome can operate in these variable MG+ conditions.

You’re going to have to do better than that. Present some kind of argument rather than hinting at something you might say.

John, there is experimental science behind this argument. High Mg+ conditions are required for type 2 introns to operate properly. Eukaryotic cells have variable Mg+ conditions.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2017.12.035

Don’t all cells have variable Mg+ conditions? Don’t eukaryotes have group II introns? And what argument? You haven’t made an argument yet. Come on, Bill. Try for once to present a coherent, complete argument supporting a clear claim.

The condition unfavorable to Mg+ occurs in the cell nucleus. This is where type 2 introns do not effectively splice. This supports the chicken and egg problem as the conditions in the cell nucleus require the spliceosome.

I have supported the claim the “you got to do better then that tactic” is duly noted.

Bill likes to repeat words and phrases he picks up from EN&V and UD. He usually doesn’t understand what they mean, can’t even begin to defend them, but they’re WORDS! From an AUTHORITY! That’s all an ID-Creationist needs.

That needs some evidence to back it up.

Added in edit:

How do you determine if a sequence has biological function?

Whatever does that mean? Once again I encourage you to think before posting, try for coherence, and re-read for sense before hitting the “send” button.

2 Likes

The average human protein is 500AA long.

By watching it function in a cell. :slight_smile:

Then the chances of producing a protein fold are even greater. In random peptides just 71 amino acids long they found a large percentage had folds. In fact, the prevalence of folds in random peptides wasn’t that far off from the number of folds found in naturally occurring and functional proteins:

Nearly half of the short random peptides had secondary structure, either a beta sheet or alpha helix. So why are you saying that these features are rare?

What if I gave you a random sequence that was not found in a cell. How would you determine if it had sequence?

Whats the point? Some folded structure inside a peptide chain is meaningless unless it can obtain a functional tertiary fold.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

And the goalposts go flying by.

2 Likes

When did I ever make a claim about a partial secondary structure irrespective of a tertiary structure?

Maybe you should read this paper before pontificating:

Then please explain this paper:
https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/febs.14012

Sorry, Bill. It’s hard to tell what you’re making a claim about. What you say right there, for example: What does it mean?

Your argument is meaningless unless you can bring some evidence to the table.

What if I had a random sequence generator create a 100 amino acid peptide. Would you be able to tell me if that sequence has biological function by the sequence alone?

You brought evidence to the table that didn’t show that a random sequence could create a functional secondary fold in order to start the process of natural selection. I was merely pointing this out. The problem of a 2500 AA sequence protein attaining a possible selectable sequence remains.

Probably not, however it depends on how you define “functional”.

Bill, please apply your word salad quoted above to the fact that by selecting from a random library of immunoglobulin variable regions, we can find immunoglobulins with beta-lactamase activity.

What does the adjective “functional” mean in front of “fold” in this case; that is, what is the “functional fold” for those enzymes?

Do you not understand that “fold” is a structural, not a functional, classification?

1 Like

Random sequence formed beta sheets and alpha helices.

That problem is squarely in your court. You are claiming that biological function would be too rare, and evolution would not be able to find it. That claim has yet to be supported.

If you don’t know which sequences would have function, however you want to define it, then how can you make any claims about the rarity of function in sequence space?

1 Like