What Keeps YEC, EC, TE, etc. Up at Night?

You fail to understand the hate, scorn, and derision is not for holding YEC beliefs. It’s only directed to those YECs who lie, quote-mine, deliberately misrepresent science, accuse scientists of deliberate fraud to argue their YEC cause. Sadly that’s virtually ALL professional YEC leaders.

It never dawned on you God is allowing the truth of His physical creations to win out over misinterpretations of Scripture, has it?

Yet you ignore 99% of the evidence, that which contradicts your YEC claims, and focus on 1% you can make excuses for.

4 Likes

The first thing you do is that you accept Jesus Christ- that he was killed for your sins and was raised- and have faith in Him alone for salvation. After that you trust the Holy Spirit to indwell and guide you.

1 Like

Nothing in the evolution/creation ‘debate’ keeps me up at night. Nor do I worry much about it. As I see it and among my scientific and technically savy colleagues, YEC justifiably remains a fringe position in science and ID, it seems, can’t find a leg to stand on. Both positions continue to find support almost entirely on religious / apologetic bases.

What keeps me up are concerns for family and friends. Also, environmental issues, particularly global warming, energy production and water. The increasing popularity of authoritarian impulses in democratic governments is worrisome. I also wonder if I should be a vegetarian for moral and environmental reasons.

6 Likes

Be a hunter instead. Wild game, the larger the better, causes far fewer deaths and less animal suffering than the production of most grains.

1 Like

My church’s motto is “God is still speaking.”

You seem to think that He quit long ago and that He needs you to speak for Him. The evidence speaks to us.

The problem is that YECism isn’t true. Virtue signaling (aka self-righteousness) aside, it minimizes the import of Psalm 8:4, not only because of the vastness of the size of the universe, but also because of the vastness of its antiquity.

What is man, that you are mindful of him?[!]

Was God short of time that he had to create the universe in 144 hours?

This is written by a Christian in the sciences, a physicist – you really should try and understand it:

It will be to your chagrin when you stand before the Lord.

2 Likes

I’m not concerned at all when weighing whether the scientific evidence favors evolution or Young Earth Creation. I do have questions, though. Personally, my biggest scientific question is whether God directly created the first cells or if He let them evolve slowly from abiotic chemicals.

The biggest concern I have about evolution is from a Biblical standpoint. There is a LOT of descriptive language and detail in Genesis 1-3 (or through chapter 11, for that matter) that seems unnecessary if God created in the way the physical evidence indicates.

3 Likes

The standard answer would be that it has a purpose other than describing historical events. Do you find that unsatisfying?

2 Likes

That is my assumption, but I don’t have a satisfactory idea of what that purpose is.

I think instead one has stopped a provacation that is moving through a light field. The flashlight is not creating light but, i suggest, just bringing it out.
One could always say this as genesis said this. the writers of genesis, God or man, did not think light came from a practical source but was innate in the universe. very clearly.

This makes as much sense as saying the flashlight sucks the darkness out of a room.

1 Like

There is hate , scorn, derision in lots of stuff. Yes more because the true faith is being fought by the pwers of the world(including satanic ones_ however your/my list for the best rock groups would also take on heat.
Am error is that only a few people reflect intellectually on origin matters. otherwise they just ACCEPT what they believe legitimate authority has discovered. Educated or less educated.
Sp it doesn’t matter scoring the stats.
In fact i think smarter people should be more hostile to great truths like creationism UNTIOL they are reflective on them. its the less smart people who just up and say i think this or that is true, Regardless of which side they are on. Smarter educated people more accurately realize god/Jesus/Genesis are incredible claims and they need evidence. they need less/none evidence from mankind they trust as i previously said.
these days YEC and ID have never been more successful , intellectually, and more famous and more able to reach audiences. though still difficult.
In fact it sometimes seems there is a embarrassment of riches and we shall prevail very quickly in many main points. However the bible will always be a minority acceptance in North America.

Nope. not the same thing. why? What is light? Is the flashlight REALLY creating light?

Expound to us about light and radiation pressure.

Newton had some things to say about light rays. Maybe you need a refresher?

I agree with this. When I was a young academic and then professor, I was an adamant and outspoken Young Earth Creationist on two secular university campuses—yet I was treated quite well. In fact, I would get invited to serve on panels at public and classroom events where origins topics were discussed/debated (complete with Q&A from the audience.) I don’t recall anybody getting nasty when I described my YEC Bible interpretations in Genesis. It was only when I unknowingly misrepresented the science that I got pushback. Fortunately, even in those days I avoided the worst YEC pseudoscience and I refused to follow the quote-mining habits of some of the YEC leaders I knew. I was also willing to concede failed arguments, and I acknowledged the value of contrary evidence when it was presented by others. So I admit that I may have been treated better than some YECs of that era.

So I think it is much like many other disagreements people have: one is usually evaluated and treated according to one’s behavior even more than one’s personal beliefs.

Meanwhile, I’ve heard flat-earthers and 911-deniers make analogous statements:

For me the most frustrating thing about being _______ is dealing with all the hate, scorn, and derision that comes with it; being in the vast minority of academia.

8 Likes

Exactly. It’s all about the dishonesty, the worst of it being the falsehood that we are interpreting the same evidence differently.

3 Likes

The batteries you put in a flashlight are actually crammed full of tiny light corpuscles. When you hit the ON switch the corpuscles escape until the batteries are empty.

4 Likes

That’s a fun old-timey description. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great use of the Socratic Method!

Rivals may come and go but Sir Robert Byers remains my most favoritest and bestest Peaceful Science commentator.

3 Likes