Why Christianity is the Worldview that Best Supports Science

(Dale Cutler) #21

I would have thought that you would have been able to infer that ‘matter’ was shorthand for the material universe. Rats. I made another mistake. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(John Harshman) #22

“Use the right word, not its second cousin.” — Mark Twain.

(Dale Cutler) #23

That was first cousin or more like sibling.

(Dale Cutler) #24

What kind of evidence do you imagine makes a Christian out of an atheist?

(John Harshman) #25

If I were you I would abandon all attempts at wit. As a substitute, you could try engaging with the actual arguments people make to you.

(Dale Cutler) #26

My question above stands.

(John Harshman) #27

Oh. I thought it was rhetorical. Shouldn’t you try answering my questions before posing your own?

(Dale Cutler) #28

The best answer to a question is frequently a question. It is at least a good answer in this case.

(John Mercer) #29

If the survey question as described in the article is accurate:

Just over half of religious or spiritual people in both countries thought human consciousness could not be explained by evolutionary processes. Astonishingly, we also found that over 1 in 3 of Canadian atheists, and nearly 1 in 5 UK atheists felt the same.

I can easily see how many would confuse whether consciousness COULD be explained with whether it HAS been explained by evolutionary processes, because it hasn’t.

(Neil Rickert) #30

Yes. It is attacking a straw man.

(Neil Rickert) #31

This seems mostly false.

(John Harshman) #32

Is it? Really?

(Timothy Horton) #33

It is if you’re trying to dodge the original question.

(Dale Cutler) #34

Neither of you have ever taught, then.

(John Harshman) #35

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

(Dale Cutler) #36

Nice put-down. Peaceful.

(John Harshman) #37

Let’s face it, dude. You ignore any actual discussion. There isn’t much else to do here.

(Dale Cutler) #38

Maybe you aren’t familiar with Socratic questioning and you were afraid to address mine?

(John Harshman) #39

Condescension does not go well for you. Nor, as it happens, do your attempts at Socratic method. Answer the questions.

(Dale Cutler) #40

The Source is absolute truth, testimony that can be trusted in any circumstance, but you won’t know him unless you want to and he reveals himself to you. And absolute Truth is generally reliable.

That is both the answer to your questions and the answer to mine.

The Latin anagram answers Pilate’s question.

Quid est veritas? “What is truth?”
Est vir qui adest: “It is the man who is here.”