Why I Am an ID Proponent

I am a proponent of the claim that there is no appearance of design in nature. I am honestly, and I mean this literally, baffled by the claim. I simply do not share that view, or intuition, or whatever you might want to call it.

I look at something in nature not created by humans, such as rocks, or trees, or clouds, and I see nothing at all that makes me think of design. When I think of design, I think of the materials I see around me in my immediate surroundings. Buildings which are usually made of bricks or concrete, are usually big blocks of rectangular shape, with doors and windows made of square or rectangular pieces of glass or painted wood or plastic. Or cars, made of plastic and metal, painted with paint. Some times with advertisements on them. I look at my computer, made of plastic and metal and circuits, and it’s a huge collection of squares and rectangles made of materials I see nowhere else in nature, shaped in ways I see nowhere else in nature. They usually don’t have any intrinsic affinity to each other that make them attract or repel each other, but must be “forced” to fit together with other designed objects like nails, nuts and bolts, screws, tape, glue or what have you. When a madmande object breaks, someone has to come and fix it and put it back together.

I look at an organism like myself, or a dog, and I see a soft mushy chaotic mess of fluids, tissues, flexible, stretchy, often times smelly and sticky lump of matter that has this weird tendency to heal itself slowly when damaged, and things seem to naturally “stick together” into a seamless whole. I don’t see where the “design” is in this. Organisms grow in a way nothing that I know of as designed does.

The two things, life in nature, and man-made designs are completely separate and exceedlingly unlike in my view. I have never looked at something in biology and thought it “looked designed”. It looks designed to me is pretty much like saying “it is made of polished smooth pieces of plastic and metal, held together by screws, and run by batteries or a combustion engine made of a large block of metal with metal pistons”.

4 Likes