Ann Gauger: Did the Human Brain Evolve?

If a couple wants to have children with blue eyes, would their wants drive the mutations for blue eyes? How would that work? What are the mechanisms?

This also leads to some uncomfortable conclusions. Children are born with de novo mutations that cause severe diseases. Did that child’s parents use their brains to cause that mutation?

It is also worth noting that women are born with all of the eggs they will ever produce. Eggs form before there is a fully formed brain. How do you account for that?

You would also need to explain the pattern of substitution mutations, as I discuss in this thread:

One has to wonder how bacteria get mutations.

1 Like

I think those substitutions would easily be explained as a coincidence of

1. similar morphology of humans and apes,
  2. then similar environmental and societal pressures like passion, aggression, grief, competition, bearing/nurturing young, etc.

Why would this result in transitions being more common than transversions, and CpG mutations occuring at a higher rate than non-CpG mutations?

1 Like

Because homogeneous morphologies and social pressures between the two species would frontload similar sensory stimuli and derive highly similar chemical signatures resulting in very nearly identical mutation rates at the genetic level.

How? What is the mechanism, and why does it produce this specific pattern? Also, why do other vertebrates in different environments and different morphology also have this same pattern?

You should also address why DNA polymerase acting on its own is not a valid explanation for the over abundance of transition mutations. That sure looks like the most valid mechanism to me.

2 Likes

Because cells outside the body do not behave normally. They can be prompted to replicate but damage quickly sets in. And when they do seem to replicate, it is certainly not healthy or normal cell function that is occurring.

You mean that the cells in dishes in the lab are only seeming to replicate? Why are thousands of people going in to the lab this weekend to passage them if they are not really replicating?

1 Like

Blind cavefish

Natural selection, impacting sensory cells in the brain, cause information to be sent to genes normally used to promote eye development, “instructing” them to instead, defer and reassign that energy to more resourceful features.

The point is, this is not randomness in operation. Rather, it is natural selection and the brain in deliberate adaptive operation.

For the study, the team acquired captive cavefish and measured the energy cost of their sight. They did this by calculating the oxygen consumption of their eyes and vision-related parts of their brain .

Damian Moran, who led the study, says vision is costly because “of energy-hungry photoreceptive cells and neurons .”

The results, published September 11 in the journal Science Advances , showed that for young, developing fish, the energy cost of sight is 15 percent greater than if they were blind.

Indeed, the findings also show that blind A. mexicanus have a significantly smaller midbrain , the part that deals with vision.

(emphases are mine)

Are you trying to suggest that this is a case where the cavefish somehow “deliberately” restricted the development of their eyes and midbrain?

What makes you think that, rather than bog standard natural selection acting on random mutations?

2 Likes

That certainly sounds like the point @r_speir is making. If we momentarily suspend disbelief and imagine that the brain could do such a thing, it would be interesting to determine how the brain selectively alters tissue-specific gene expression patterns to accomplish it.

Do you realize in your scenario the fish doing the “changing” to its DNA wouldn’t have any morphological change itself? Any changes would only show up in its offspring. How did the fish brain figure that out?

Also did every individual fish in the population send the same “information” to its genome? How did that work?

2 Likes

The idea sounds suspiciously like Bill Cole’s assertion a mind alone can physically manipulate matter. Of course we are never told the mechanism how this is accomplished.

I don’t see how that is at all related to what I said.

We would also have to ask how sponges are able to do this without a brain. We could ask the same question of plants and fungi.

1 Like

That’s not how it works. Eyes don’t develop because of mutations that are present at the single cell stage, and that lack of development occurs during embryonic development before the brain is fully formed.

1 Like

Yes it would be and no-one knows the answer presently.

Refer to article:
“For one thing, Jeffery says, it’s unknown how the evolutionary pressure to save energy actually tampers with the fish’s vision.”

We all know this already.

Ridiculous that you think I would make that assertion. There is no answer to that question because it is invalid.

It wasn’t an assertion, it was a question. Did every individual fish in the population send the same “information” to its genome?

How did the whole population end up with the same changed morphology?

1 Like

Then how does your thought → DNA change work if there’s no brain there to think?

1 Like