Answers in Genesis revises its "Statement of Faith"

There are two parts to what you said.

1. biological sex is most often very, very obvious
  2. chromosomal abnormalities are rare

Whether 2/1000 births having chromosomal abnormalities is rare depends on your definition of rare.

Your statement is biological sex is often very, very obvious - until your dear beloved baby, whose gender was “obvious” when born, suddenly when older has second thoughts about their gender, due to the 1.5% you dismiss.

Female-raised patients frequently report the desire to be male, adopt male-typical behavior and are frequently homosexual/bisexual as adults, but this does not correspond to GD. Declared GD among 46,XX CAH patients attained 9% of the reported cohorts, generally in late adolescence/adulthood.

1 Like

@thoughtful , I totally agree. Thank you for being here, even though it is not always easy.

I also really appreciate your sensitivity to questions of race and racism. I respect that your sensitivity on these matters is not well accepted in some of your communities. We really do have much common ground.

6 Likes

@thoughtful, let us say that it is 1 out of a 1000. That still means most medium size churches would have one or two members with the condition, and many more that knew someone (perhaps unawares) with the condition. That is pretty common.

Sometimes we will see facebook posts announcing births with ambiguous statements about the sex of the baby. This tradition of announcing the sex of a baby is one of the first social road-bumps for families that have a child with ambiguous sex. Maybe you’ve seen these posts before.

I would hope that the Church exhibited more compassion and empathy for these children and families. Even if the male-female distinction is clear in most cases, the exceptions are common enough that we will all cross paths with those who break the norm, by no fault of their own. And Scripture does not really give us any guidance on how to classify them.

Yes, in some senses, they are rare, but the overall rarity doesn’t make a whit of difference if your child (or you!) is one of the exceptions.

8 Likes

Remember, Genesis 2-3 makes clear that there was death outside the Garden away from the Tree of Life. Adam and Eve’s world, though, was in the Garden, near the Tree of Life.

The way how God brought "animal death, disease, bloodshed, suffering, extinction, thorns and thistles, and all other natural evils (e.g., earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc.)” into Adam and Eve’s world was by expelling them from the Garden, making the world outside their world too.

It is really great that they include verses in their statement of faith. That clarifies and fixes the meaning of what they are saying. In the end, we’d just need to affirm what is written in the document, as defined by those passages, even if it is at variance with their interpretation of said passages. That is why I said they may mean to exclude something like the GAE, but they fail to do so.

2 Likes

Good thoughts (your whole post)

To add to the portion I quoted, the scriptures give us guidence about classifying them as humans made in God’s image. And the scriptures give us guidence about how to treat them, which is with Love, putting their needs before our own.

I love how Jesus humanizes the outcast. He hugs leppers! He eats with and hangs out with the folks that were shunned by the culture of his day. I have no doubt that Jesus, in this culture, would be having dinner parties with the folks marginalized and dehumanized by the Church in the U.S.

5 Likes

Since I care about the Big “C” Church a good bit this is sad but also typical of a trend ( that’s bigger than AIG, of course). AIG doesn’t attempt to explore these topics through the scriptures. Instead, they double down on their culture war motivated stances and co-opt a couple of verses for presentation purposes. The portion of the Christian community in the U.S. that can’t get free of their interbreeding of faith and nationalism and their involvement in the culture war seems to be stuck. For the sake of others hurt by the antics, and for themselves, I hope they can get unstuck.

4 Likes

But doesn’t that completely contradict the “statement of faith” that you are willing to sign?

In mammalian sex determination, the key is the ratio of sex chromosomes, so generally, an XXXXY person would be more on the female side than an XXXY, etc.

They are human beings. Rarity is totally irrelevant if it’s your own child, hence my question.

So, @thoughtful, since you’re agreeing with AiG’s Statement that sex/gender is “coded in the DNA” for an individual human being, what is the sex/gender, say of your own child, who has complete AIS with a perfectly normal 46,XY sex chromosome karyotype?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.